Beginning in 1979, there have been a series of symposia held every 5 to 7 years addressing the state of our knowledge about science, policy and management factors affecting California's oak resource. This program, held November 3-6, 2014 in Visalia, CA, represents the 7th symposium in the series. California's oak woodlands cover 10 percent of the state, and in addition, are a key ecological component of conifer forests. Oak woodlands are the most biologically diverse broad habitat in the state, making conservation of their ecosystem values an important policy and management priority. The meeting location in the San Joaquin Valley was conveniently situated for both northern and southern California oak scientists, managers, policy makers and interest groups.
The proceedings of the 7th symposium represents the most current, and comprehensive overview of issues facing oak woodlands, and can be downloaded at: http://www.fs.fed.us/psw/publications/documents/psw_gtr251/
The proceedings have 56 papers in a broad array of subject areas, including: wildlife and oaks; oak ecosystem services; oak restoration; oak conservation, management and utilization; and the gold-spotted oak borer and sudden oak death. The full citation for this is:
Standiford, Richard B.; Purcell, Kathryn L., tech. cords. 2015. Proceedings of the seventh California oak symposium: managing oak woodlands in a dynamic world. Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-251. Berkeley, CA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station. 579 p.
- USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Research Station
- University of California Oak Woodland Conservation Program
- University of California, Berkeley, Center for Forestry
- University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources
Previous Oak Symposia:
- June 26-28, 1979; Claremont, CA; Proceedings of the symposium on the ecology, management, and utilization of California oaks - USDA Forest Service PSW-GTR 44
- November 12-14, 1986; San Luis Obispo, CA; Proceedings of the Symposium on Multiple-Use Management of California's Hardwood Resources - USDA Forest Service PSW-GTR 100
- October 31 - November 2, 1990; Davis, CA; Proceedings of the symposium on oak woodlands and hardwood rangeland management - USDA Forest Service PSW-GTR 126
- March 19-22 1996; San Luis Obispo, CA; Proceedings of a symposium on oak woodlands: ecology, management, and urban interface issues - USDA Forest Service PSW-GTR 160
- October 22-25, 2001; San Diego, CA; Proceedings of the fifth symposium on oak woodlands: oaks in California's changing landscape - USDA Forest Service PSW-GTR 184
- October 9-12, 2006; Rohnert Park, CA; Proceedings of the sixth California oak symposium: today's challenges, tomorrow's opportunities - USDA Forest Service PSW-GTR 217