Not everyone has a lawn, but if you do, fall is the perfect time to give your lawn some much-needed attention. To find out if you are maintaining your lawn properly, answer the following questions:
- Is your irrigation system set to water deeply and infrequently?
- Do you regularly check and adjust sprinkler heads?
- When you mow, do you remove less than 1/3 of the leaf blade?
- Do you grasscycle to add nutrients back into your lawn?
- When needed, do you aerate your lawn and remove thatch?
- Do you remove weeds by hand as they appear?
- Do you fertilize correctly, and at the right time?
If you aren't sure how to answer some of these questions, the UC Guide to Healthy Lawns can help. You can find information about mowing, irrigation, fertilizing, dethatching, and aerating on the Established Lawns page of this Guide. For help managing insects, weeds, and diseases in lawn, visit Manage Pests page on the UC IPM web site.