- Author: Pamela Kan-Rice
The U.S. Department of Education recently released proposed Title IX rules primarily addressing how schools must respond to sexual harassment, including sexual assault. To ensure those comments are informed by the views of the UC community, UC requests your input on the proposed rules.
The following provisions in particular could result in significant changes to UC's current processes:
• Requirement to provide for a live hearing (Section 106.45(b)(3)(vii), page 61474)
• Requirement to allow cross-examination (Section 106.45(b)(3)(vii), page 61474)
• Changes to the definition of sexual harassment (Section 106.3, page 61466)
• Elements necessary to trigger the formal grievance process (Section 106.45(b)(3)(vii), page 61474)
• Institutional choice regarding applicable standard of evidence (Section 106.45(b)(4), page 61477)
The proposed Title IX rules, as published in the Federal Register, are available here. To facilitate this process, community members are encouraged to submit their input via an online survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PYDLN2B by Dec. 21, 2018. The section numbers in the survey align with the section numbers in the proposed rules.
View or leave comments for ANR Leadership at http://ucanr.edu/sites/ANRUpdate/Comments.
This announcement is also posted and archived on the ANR Update pages.