- Author: Pamela Kan-Rice
UC ANR's hiring blitz continues! Thanks to the increased 2021-22 state funding, eight more UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE) Advisor positions are now released for recruitment. The recruitments are being staged to avoid overwhelming our Human Resources colleagues.
- 06 Central Sierra Local Food Systems Advisor, Amador
- 10 Vertebrate Pest Management Advisor, Napa
- 14 Specialty Crops Advisor, Sonoma
- 17 Viticulture Advisor, San Joaquin (with Sacramento, Stanislaus, and nearby areas)
- 48 Integrated Pest Management Advisor, San Diego
- 51 4-H Youth Development Advisor, Placer-Nevada
Following up on my July 20 announcement, I am pleased to announce 10 more UC Cooperative Extension positions are now released for recruitment. These positions are made possible by the historic 2021-22 state budget increase Governor Newsom approved in July. We are grateful to begin rebuilding the UC ANR academic footprint to address critical needs in our state. The newly released positions include:
- #09 Orchard Systems Area Advisor, Tehama County (headquarter county)
- #65 Nut Crops Advisor, Merced County (headquarter county)
- #32 Invasive Weed &...
I am pleased to announce that, because of the state's acknowledgement that growing the UC ANR academic footprint is of great benefit to the state, recruitment of UCCE Advisor and UCCE Specialist positions will resume. Earlier this year, the Program Council recommended release of 20 positions (15 UCCE Advisor plus 5 UCCE Specialist positions). Ten of these positions have been released for recruitment; the remaining positions will be released soon. Program Council will review other currently identified needs in September and advance additional recommendations to me. Up to 75 additional UCCE Advisor and 18 additional UCCE Specialist positions are expected to be released in the next 12 months.
The currently identified needs reflect...
I am extremely pleased to announce the following 10 UC Cooperative Extension positions are released for recruitment:
- #11 Plant Pathology Area Advisor, Santa Cruz County
- #13 Soils and Irrigation Advisor, Kern County
- #15 Urban Agriculture/Small Farms Area Advisor, San Bernardino County
- #27 Community Nutrition & Innovative Technologies Specialist, UC Davis
- #31 Forest and Fuels Management Specialist, UC Berkeley
- #37 Subtropical Crops Pathology Specialist, UC Riverside
- #45 Diversified Agricultural Systems Area Advisor, Lake County
- #55 Forestry and Natural Resources Area Advisor, Sutter-Yuba counties
- #59 4-H Youth Development, San...
I am pleased to announce that we plan to release a handful of UCCE academic positions for recruitment as soon as we know the final state of our FY2021-22 state budget. The state has announced full restoration of UC's budget for this next fiscal year, offering significant relief to UC ANR's budget outlook. That announcement means that the 12.7% cut we experienced in FY 2020/21 will be reversed, bringing our FY 2021/22 budget back to the pre-COVID levels we had in FY 2019-20.
While this news is very good, challenges will remain to fill the many other UCCE positions identified as high priority. Over the past 20 years, state funding for UC ANR decreased by almost 50% (adjusted for inflation), resulting in a significant decrease of...