- Posted By: Pamela Kan-Rice
- Written by: Dan Dooley
Today, I am announcing the first group of academic positions that I have approved for recruitment and hiring. As discussed below, these positions will be funded by salary reversions resulting from retirements and separations that have occurred over the last year.
In response to the request for proposals issued last fall, members of the ANR community submitted 138 advisor and specialist positions. Program Council has completed its work and has forwarded recommendations for positions with strategic importance to our statewide program needs.
Virtually all of the proposals met important needs and would contribute to our vision, the Strategic Initiatives, and critical program needs. I regret that we cannot release more positions for recruitment and hiring at this time.
Program Council’s recommendations included a number of advisor and specialist positions. We are engaged in further discussions on advisor positions and we will be discussing the recommended specialist positions with the Deans from Berkeley, Davis, Riverside and Veterinary Medicine next month.
As we move forward, we continue to face funding uncertainties that demand caution and restraint. However, we are all aware of the retirements and separations that have taken place this year and of the impact on our ability to support core programs and the Strategic Initiatives. While we continue to monitor the budget situation, it is clear that there will be sufficient funds resulting from these retirements and separations to take our first step to bring new academic talent to ANR.
Today, I have approved five advisor positions for recruitment and hiring:
- Delta Crops Resource Management Advisor - San Joaquin, Sacramento, Solano, Yolo and Contra Costa counties
- Livestock, Range and Natural Resources Advisor - Kern, Tulare and Kings counties
- 4-H Youth Development Advisor – Central Sierra Multi-county Partnership - El Dorado, Amador, Calaveras and Tuolumne Counties
- Urban Integrated Pest Management Advisor - Bay Area - Contra Costa, Alameda, San Mateo and Santa Clara counties
- Youth, Families and Communities Advisor - Humboldt, Del Norte, Lake and Mendocino counties
As soon as possible, we will announce additional advisor and specialist positions after further discussions and consistent with budget realities.
We are all aware that we are at or below critical mass in a number of important areas. These positions, along with a few critical positions already approved, are responsible strategic investments in our statewide program and consistent with our vision.
Daniel M. Dooley
Senior Vice President