- Author: Pamela Kan-Rice
The University invites comments on proposed revisions to the following policy on conflict of commitment:
- APM - 025, Conflict of Commitment and Outside Activities of Faculty Members;
Summarized below are the proposed key policy revisions that are being distributed for systemwide review.
Key policy revisions
- Expand applicability of APM - 025 to cover designated other academic appointee titles. Ten designated other academic appointee titles have been identified that would be newly subject to designated prior approval and annual reporting requirements ofAPM - 025, if engaging in foreign activities, as described below. Reporting requirements that impact represented academic titles will be subject to the meet and confer process with the appropriate union(s). Designated other academic appointee titles that would be newly subject to the proposed policy revisions are:
- Academic Administrator Series
- Academic Coordinator Series
- Agronomist Series
- Astronomer Series
- Coordinator of Public Programs Series
- Professional Research Series
- Project Scientist Series
- Specialist Series
- Specialist in Cooperative Extension Series
- Postdoctoral Scholars
- Expand applicability of APM - 025 to cover appointments above 0%. The revised policy proposes to require faculty and designated other academic appointees, including recall appointees, subject to APM - 025 and appointed above 0%, to secure prior approval for and submit annual reports on participation in foreign activities, as described below.
- Establish subcategories in APM - 025 for domestic and foreign activities within Category I and Category II Outside Activities. The revised policy proposes the establishment of new subcategories I.A and II.A for domestic activities and new subcategories I.B and II.B for foreign activities. Faculty would be responsible for securing prior approval for participation in Category I.A, I.B, and II.B activities and for submitting annual reports on all Category I and Category II activities. Designated other academic appointees would be responsible for securing prior approval for participation in and submitting annual reports on Category I.B and II.B activities.
- Remove Appendices B, C and D. The revised policy proposes to delete Appendices B, C, and D, as all campuses use OATS for APM - 025 prior approval and annual reporting processes.
The proposed revisions to APM - 025 are posted to the Academic Personnel and Programs website under the “Systemwide Review” tab. It may also be viewed at: https://ucanr.edu/sites/anrstaff/Administration/Business_Operations/Controller/Administrative_Policies_-_Business_Contracts/Policy_and_administrative_handbooks/ANR_Administrative_Handbook/Recent_Updates/
If you have any questions or if you wish to comment, please contact Robin Sanchez at email@example.com, no later than February 8, 2022. Please indicate “APM-025 Employee Comment” in the subject line.