Laura K. Snell
County Director and Livestock & Natural Resources AdvisorCooperative Extension Modoc County
202 West 4th Street
Alturas, CA 96101
M.S. Agronomy, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 2012
B.S. Water Science, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. 2009
- Pacific Southwest Region and Research Station Honor Award
Presented by USDA, 2021
SpecialtyLivestock & Natural Resources
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Snell, Laura K (In Press). Partnerships Create Success for the Devil's Garden Wild Horses. Human-Wildlife Interactions.T. Messmer.
- Macon, DK; Snell, LK (In Press). Protecting Cattle from Predators. Cow-Calf Management guide and cattle producer's library. Western Beef Resource Committee.
- Little, Janyne M.; Lile, David F. (In Press). Rapid User Guide: Post-Fire Grazing on California’s Intermountain Rangelands.W. Stewart. UC Agriculture and Natural Resources. https://www.devilsgardenucce.org/post/rapid-user-guide-post-fire-grazing-on-california-s-intermountain-rangelands
- Snell, Laura K (2022). Opportunities for Local Partnerships in Managing Free Roaming Equids (Abstract). Proceedings, 30th Vertebrate Pest Conference.D. Woods. UC Agriculture and Natural Resources. December 12. https://escholarship.org/uc/item/9h196385
- Frey, S. Nicole; Scasta, J. Derek (2022). Public Knowledge of Free-Roaming Horses in the United States. Proceedings, 30th Vertebrate Pest Conference.D. Woods. UC Agriculture and Natural Resources. December 20. https://escholarship.org/uc/item/5d03p3hw
Snell, L. K, & Baldwin, R. A. (2020). Current Trends and Management of Wild Horses on the Devil’s Garden Plateau. Proceedings of the Vertebrate Pest Conference, 29. https://escholarship.org/uc/item/073803nf
- Macon, DK; Lile, DF (2019). Direct and indirect impacts to ranchers from wolves and other predators: Building a baseline in California. Proceedings of the Vertebrate Pest Conference.D. Woods. 29, 74-76.
- Baldwin, R.A.; Halbritter, H. (2019). Efficacy and nontarget impact of zinc phosphide-coated cabbage as a ground squirrel management tool. Pest Management Science. 75, 1847-1854. January 10. http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/ps.5333
- Snell, Laura K. (2019). Monument Plant (Frasera speciosa). Grasslands.W. Brim-DeForest. California Native Grasslands Association. 29:4, 10-11.
- Macon, D.K; Baldwin, R.A. (2018). Livestock protection tools for California ranchers. University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. 8598. January.
- Baldwin, R. A.; Halbritter, H. (2018). Zinc phosphide-coated cabbage for managing Belding’s ground squirrels. Proceedings of the Vertebrate Pest Conference.D. Woods. Davis, CA. 28. https://doi.org/10.5070/V42811030
- Oles, Kristin M.; Weixelman, Dave A. (2017). Riparian Meadow Response to Modern Conservation Grazing Management. Environmental Management. 60, 383-395. June 2.
- Snell, L. K.; Guretzky, J. A. (2017). Ruminant Urine Increases Uptake but Decreases Relative Recovery of Nitrogen by Smooth Bromegrass. Crop, Forage, and Turfgrass Management. 3:1. February 23.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Wildlife - Chair
- Agriculture and Nature Tourism - Member
- Alfalfa and Forage Systems - Member
- Beef Safety and Quality Assurance - Member
- Livestock Production Systems - Member
- Sheep and Goat Herd Health and Production - Member