Past webinars - other topics
As webinars are completed, we post recordings on YouTube for future study and sharing with others. Continuing education units are not available for recorded webinars. Only participants of live webinars receive credits.
Using Vegetable as Case Study for Implementing IPM by Dr. Alejandro Del-Pozo Valdivia (November 9, 2020)
- Dr. Alejandro Del-Pozo discussed the most important pests of lettuce and cole crops in California's central coast, area-wide monitoring of pests in the Salinas Valley, components of the IPM program in lettuce, use of conservational and augmentative biological control, alternatives to pyrethroids and neonicotinoids, components of the IPM program in cole crops, cultural control, mating disruption, insecticide resistance and chemical control.
Evaluation of Soil Salinity, and Soil, Plant Tissue, and Water Reports by Dr. Phoebe Gordon (October 14, 2020)
- Dr. Phoebe Gordon discussed how to interpret soil, water, and plant tissue lab test reports, including proper sampling, the differences between tests, units, calculating amounts of nitrogen, the importance of pH, and more.
What is in Your Orchard: Protecting California from Invasive Species by Dr. Mark Hoddle (September 9, 2020)
- Dr. Mark Hoddle discussed the problems caused by invasive species in California - invasion statistics of importance to California, invasion biology that drives invasion pathways, establishment likelihood, and subsequent spread after establishment. Problems caused by current high profile invaders (e.g., South American palm weevil), and biocontrol programs targeting destructive invasive pests (e.g., Asian citrus psyllid) were presented. Finally, Dr. Hoddle introduced a new twist on a classic approach: "Proactive Biocontrol" program targeting spotted lanternfly, a pest not yet present in California, but one that is likely to establish and cause significant problems for the grape and nut industries.
Ground Squirrel and Pocket Gopher Management in Orchard Crops by Dr. Roger Baldwin (June 17, 2020)
- Dr. Roger Baldwin discussed how to manage ground squirrel and pocket gopher damage with a variety of tools in orchard crops. This information is critical for PCAs and growers to better understand the importance of IPM in vertebrate management. (Presentation slides in the PDF format)
Air Blast Sprayer Calibration by Lynn Wunderlich and Dr. Franz Niederholzer (June 9, 2020)
- UCCE Farm Advisors discussed the importance of proper calibration and the steps to properly calibrate an air blast sprayer. This information is critical for PCAs, applicators, and growers of trees and vines so that pesticides are applied to the target crop at the proper application rate with good coverage and minimal drift. (Presentation slides in the PDF format - Part 1 and Part 2)
Pesticide Label Reading for Safe Applications by Lisa Blecker (November 20, 2019)
- Ms. Blecker outlined the content found on pesticide labels with special focus on label requirements that ensure safety for the pesticide handler, other employees, and bystanders, including restricted entry intervals, personal protective equipment (PPE) requirements, early-entry requirements, interpreting pesticide rates, application intervals, and plant-back restrictions. Lisa will identify where California-specific requirements are more restrictive than what is found on pesticide labels. This information is critical for employers and supervisors to ensure compliance, and for applicators to understand how to protect themselves. (Presentation slides in the PDF format)
Slugs and Snails by Dr. Cheryl Wilen, Dr. Rory Mc Donnell, Dr. Adler Dillman, and Dr. Irma De Ley (May 22, 2019)
Speakers covered an overview of snail and slug biology, damage and management with an emphasis on brown snail and Italian white snail, and current research on slug biocontrol using nematodes. (Presentation slides in the PDF format)
Management of Glyphosate-Resistant Weeds in Orchard Crops by Dr. Brad Hanson (April 24, 2019)
- Dr. Hanson discussed what is herbicide resistance, the current state of resistant weeds in California's permanent crops, identification, and lifecycle of key glyphosate-resistant weeds, selection pressure for resistant biotypes and species, herbicide modes of action, and examples of herbicide programs for orchard crops. (Presentation slides in the PDF format)
Respirators by Lisa Blecker (December 12, 2018)
- Ms. Blecker covered the importance of respiratory protection, types of respirators used by pesticide handlers, how to determine when to wear a respirator, and federal and state requirements for respiratory protection. (Presentation slides in the PDF format)