UCCE Master Gardeners of Tuolumne County
Garden Tips for December
- Continue to rake up leaves for composting and to control pests and diseases.
- Clean up garden beds.
- Keep an eye on the weather report, protect frost-tender plants when the temperature falls below 32 degrees.
- Prune non-flowering trees and shrubs while dormant.
- Clean up debris around fruit trees to prevent disease.
- Mulch, water, and cover tender plants to protect from frost. Be sure to remove coverings during the day.
- The birds stay in Northern California through the winter. Since flowers are scarce in most gardens now, it’s important to keep your feeder filled; clean and refill it every few days.
- Check dates of Master Gardener classes.
Have a Gardening Question?
Contact the Master Gardener Hotline:209-533-5912 or fill out the "Ask a Master Gardener" online form.
"Urban Drool Is not Cool"
Make sure your sprinklers are adjusted properly
Become a fan of UCCE Tuolumne County Master Gardeners' Facebook page by clicking here
Have a turf lawn in the summer-dry foothills? Go to http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/TURF/ to learn how to test your sprinkler output.