Dairy AdvisorUC Cooperative Extension
133 Aviation Boulevard
Santa Rosa, CA 95403-2894
Ph.D. Animal Health and Well-being, University of Tennessee. 2016
M.S. Dairy Systems Management, University of Kentucky. 2013
B.S. Animal Science, University of Kentucky. 2009
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Dairy Cattle / Milk / Other Dairy Prod
- Animal Diseases
- Animal Welfare/Well-Being and Protection
- Environmental Stress in Animals
- Animal Management Systems
- Improved Animal Products (Before Harvest)
- Sustainable Food Systems
- Black, R. A.; Whitlock, B. K.; Krawczel, P. D. (2017). Effect of maternal prepartum exercise on calf dry matter intake, weight gain, behavior, and cortisol concentrations at disbudding and weaning. Journal of Dairy Science. 100:9, 7390-7400.
- Black, R. A.; van Amstel, S.R.; Krawczel, P.D. (2017). Effect of prepartum exercise, pasture turnout, or total confinement on hoof health. Journal of Dairy Science. 100:10, 8338-8346.
- Ingle, H. D.; Rice, C.A.; Black, R.A.; Childers, S.Z.; Prado, M.E.; Krawczel, P.D. (2017). Effect of switch-trimming on udder and teat hygiene of dairy cows. Applied Animal Welfare Science. 27, 1-5.
- Kull, J. A.; Ingle, H.D.; Black, R.A.; Eberhart, N.L.; Krawczel, P.D. (2017). Effects of bedding with recycled sand on lying behaviors, udder hygiene, and preference of lactating Holstein dairy cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 100:9, 7379-7389.
- Everett, J. B.; Schumacher, J.; Doherty, T.J.; Black, R.A.; Amelse, L.L.; Krawczel, P.D.; Coetzee, J.F.; Whitlock, B.K. (2017). Effects of performance packages and action devices applied to the fore digits of Tennessee Walking Horses on behavior and biochemical indicators of stress, pain, and inflammation. American Journal of Veterinary Research. 79:1, 21-32.
- Krawczel, P.; Ferneborg, S.; Wiking, L.; Dalsgaard, T.K.; Gregersen, S.B.; Black, R.; Larsen, T.; Agenäs, S.; Svennersten-Sjauna, K.; Ternman, E. (2017). Milking time and risk of over-milking can be decreased with early teat cup removal based on udder quarter milk flow without loss in milk yield. Journal of Dairy Science. 100:8, 6640-6647.
- Black, R. A.; Krawczel, P.D. (2016). A case study of behaviour and performance of confined or pastured cows during the dry period. Animals. 6:7, 41.
- Black, R. A.; Grant, R. J.; Krawczel, P. D. (2016). Short communication: Short-term changes in stocking density did not alter meal characteristics of lactating Holstein dairy cattle. Journal of Dairy Science. 99:8, 6572-6577.
- Black, R. A.; Taraba, J. L.; Day, G. B.; Damasceno, F. A.; Newman, M. C.; Akers, K. A.; Wood, C. L.; McQuerry, K. J.; Bewley, J. M. (2014). The relationship between compost bedded pack performance, management, and bacterial counts. Journal of Dairy Science. 97:5, 2669-2679.
- Black, R. A.; Taraba, J. L.; Day, G. B.; Damasceno, F. A.; Bewley, J. M. (2013). Compost bedded pack barn management, performance, and producer satisfaction. Journal of Dairy Science. 96:12, 8060-8074.
- Black, Randi (2018). Beefing Up Farm Security. Sonoma-Marin Farm News. October.
- Black, Randi (2018). CDFA to fund Alternative Manure Management Practices in 2018. Sonoma-Marin Farm News. March.
- Black, Randi; Larson, Stephanie; Macaulay, Luke (2018). Pest and Politics: Managing Free-Ranging Tule Elk in Point Reyes National Seashore. 28th Proceedings of the Vertebrate Pest Conference.
- Black, Randi (2017). Linking On-Farm Dairy Management Practices to Storm-Flow. Sonoma-Marin Farm News. October.
- Kesterson, Clay; Black, Randi; Eberhart, Nicole; Edwards, Erika; Krawczel, Peter (2017). The effect of overstocking different resources within a freestall pen on the behaviour of lactating Holstein cows. Proc. 51st Congress of the International Society for Applied Ethology. 97.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Dairy Health and Production - Member