- Author: Pamela Kan-Rice
On Aug. 16, 2023, the University of California's Policy on Vaccination Programs – With Interim Revisions was issued. The interim revisions move the university's COVID-19 vaccination program to a systemwide opt-out program for all covered individuals. The university's seasonal influenza vaccination program remains an opt-out program. The University of California Office of the President invites comments on changes from the interim revisions to finalize this Presidential Policy.
As background, there have been significant changes in federal and state public health guidance regarding COVID-19 since the last Systemwide Review period for this policy. The federal Public Health Emergency ended on May 11, 2023, along with the COVID-19 vaccination requirements for federal employees and federal contractors. California's COVID-19 State of Emergency ended on February 28, 2023, and the California Department of Public Health rescinded its health care worker vaccination requirement effective April 3, 2023.
The draft policy is virtually identical to the policy with interim revisions that was issued on Aug. 16, 2023. Key revisions include:
- Policy will require covered individuals to either be up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccination or to opt out of COVID-19 vaccination. In the event applicable law or public health orders impose stricter vaccination requirements, such as for healthcare workers, the policy will continue to require compliance with those stricter requirements.
- As policy will no longer require covered individuals to either be up-to-date on COVID-19 vaccination or receive a university-approved exception, model forms and other content regarding the exception process were removed.
- COVID-19 vaccination program implementation guidelines were removed. Relevant language regarding vaccination data moved to main policy. Policy noncompliance language added to main policy, including citations to relevant university policies.
- Removed content regarding rescinded California Department of Public Health (CDPH) health care worker vaccine requirement.
- Updated language consistent with current public health usage. Removed outdated deadlines and content.
The proposed revisions to the policy may be viewed at https://ucanr.edu/sites/PCPA/Revisions/.
If you have any questions or if you wish to comment on this policy revision, please contact Robin Sanchez at email@example.com, no later than Dec. 11, 2023. Please indicate “Vaccination Programs Policy” in the subject line.