Skip to Content
Weed control, management, ecology, and minutia
by Robert Millsap
on May 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM
I have a residence on a 40-acre parcel in Yolo County. I am only responsible for for my road and the areas immediatley around my home. I am not a farmer. My road is approxiamtely 1/4 mile long. Several years ago I took the test and was issues a permit to purchase restricted chemicals. However, I found that the only thing I really needed was Roundup in limited quantities to control my weeds. So, I did not renew the permit. In the last 2 years I have noticed that Roundup is not adequately controlling my weeds. This year the area along my road is pretty much overgrown, and Roundup has had no efffectt. I have been told that rye grass is resistant to Roundup, and I believe that my problem is rye grass. I have read your article. It appears that Alion is the proper treatment. Can I purchase Alion without a permit? If so, where? If not, what is my solution?
Reply by Brad Hanson
on May 1, 2014 at 10:26 AM
- Glyphosate (Roundup) - resistant ryegrass is quite widespread in the Sacramento Valley so I don't doubt that you may have it. In fact, I'd be a little surprised if you didn't!  
- Alion is labeled for orchard and vineyard crops and does not have a legal non-crop use. There is a product, Esplanade 200 SC, with the same active ingredient (indaziflam) as Alion that would be appropriate for your use. These are preemergence herbicides, though, and will not control ryegrass that is emerged.  
- I can't make recommendations legally (since I'm not a PCA) or ethically (since I haven't seen your site or weed problem). You should visit with a local pest control advisor and agricultural chemical distributor to find out about purchasing Esplanade or another appropriate product for this need.  
Good luck,  
Leave a Reply:

You are currently not signed in. If you have an account, then sign in now!
Anonymous users messages may be delayed.

Security Code: