Staff Appreciation and Recognition (STAR) Awards
Nomination form due by midnight April 11, 2024.
UC ANR is growing, and we understand many of our employees have performed extraordinarily throughout this very dynamic year.
To recognize these employees, the 2024 STAR program includes exciting reward opportunities.
- Individual Awards:Individual awardees will now receive $1,000 (up from $500).
- Team Awards:Team awards will not exceed $3000 which will be divided equally among members.
- Best of the Best:The best individual award submission will receive $2,500.
- Staff Inclusion Excellence:The best individual award submission will receive $2,500.
Nomination form due by midnight April 11, 2024. Stay tuned for information on the academic recognition program.
Program Criteria: Under the STAR program, managers can nominate employees for exceptional performance and/or significant contributions related to and supportive of individual, departmental, divisional, and/or organizational goals and objectives. Managers may nominate individuals and teams demonstrating:
- Exceptional performance: Demonstrated and sustained exceptional performance that consistently exceeds goals and work expectations in quantity and/or quality.
- Creativity:One-time innovation or creation that results in time/dollar savings, revenue enhancement, and productivity improvement; and/or ongoing innovative/creative activities that benefit organizational systems, protocols, and/or procedures.
- Organizational abilities:Exhibiting extraordinary skills in leadership resulting in the accomplishment of significant departmental or divisional goals and objectives; effective project management, which could include developing a project and/or implementing a project with substantial success; and/or demonstrating organizational capability leading to a greater level of effectiveness.
- Work success:Significantly exceeding productivity, customer service, quality of care or similar goals, including demonstrating superior interactions with managers, peers, supervisors, subordinates, the University community, and/or clients and customers served.
- Teamwork:For team awards, the following criteria, plus the criterion above, will be considered. Acting as an exceptionally effective and cooperative team member or team leader for a team that has significantly exceeded the goals/objectives of the department/unit.
- Best of the Best: The best individual award submission will use the same criteria as the individual awards, but will have shown the most significant impact to the organization and will act as an example for all future awardees.
- Staff Inclusive Excellence– Significant contributions that continue to build a diverse, equitable and inclusive organization that strengthens community, promotes critical thinking, enriches the research, education, and extension experiences, and gives the university an intellectual and competitive advantage. For staff members who consistently go above and beyond in the workplace while exhibiting our core values as affirmed in our Principles of Community.
Eligibility: The STAR cash award program is available to current policy-covered career, contract or limited PSS and MSP employees, as well as exclusively represented employees in the Clerical Unit (CX).
- Members of other exclusively represented bargaining units, academics, and members of the Senior Management Group are noteligible to receive cash awards under the STAR program. However, they are encouraged to nominate and/or endorse PSS/MSP employees.
- Individuals who received an award last yearare not eligible for the program. Past nominees who did or did not receive an award may be nominated again.
- Nominees must have completed a probationary period.
- Above Expectation or Exceptional performance appraisal ratings, as well as Above Expectation or Exceptional performance of all assigned job duties, is necessary to be considered for an award.
- Nominees must demonstrate exemplary performance of activities that are above and beyond the scope of assigned responsibilities.
- Nominations must include a supporting narrative that focuses on accomplishments achieved during the during the last year. Nominations without the narrative will not be considered.
Academic award program details to be announced.
NOMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS:
Nominations should be submitted via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org by midnight April 11, 2024.
Nominators are responsible for documenting the approval of each nominee’s supervisor as part of the application submission. PDF copy of email approval from the supervisor(s) will be accepted.
April - May 2024: Review committee reviews applications and recommends individuals and teams to be awarded. The Vice President of ANR has final authority to approve STAR awards.
Mid-May 2024: Unit directors and award winners are notified of the final decisions.
June 20, 2024: STAR Awards celebrated during an ANR recognition event.
Questions regarding the ANR STAR Plan should be directed to email@example.com.