Additional Meat Processing Resources
On this page:
- Studies of local meat processing
- Marketing ideas
- Processing information including:
- Organizations & Newsletters
- Meat Food Safety & HACCP
- Processing Plant
- Mobile Processing
- Pricing Cuts of Meat
- Processing facility locations and resources
- Poultry specific information
Studies of local meat processing:
- Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network:
- Characterizing Demand for Local Meat Processing: A Needs Assessment for Livestock Processing Services in San Francisco’s East and South Bay, Alameda RCD, December 2015
- Dead Local Meat: Building and Operating a Small-Scale Abattoir Australian pig farmer, butcher, and hopeful abattoir operator, Tammi Jonas, spent a month traveling around the United States earlier this year to visit several niche meat processors and learn more about their challenges and innovations, Nov 2017
- Final Link: Getting Livestock from Farm to Fork (pdf) administered by CalaverasGROWN, September 2012
- Food Infrastructure and Distribution: Let's Not Reinvent the Wheel by Warren King, Winter 2011
- From Convenience to Commitment: Securing the Long-Term Viability of Local Meant & Poultry Processing case studies and findings by NMPAN, June 2013
- Meat Plants: Improving Profitability in Small & Very Small Operations a study by National Sustainable Ag Info Service, 2011
- Mendocino County Meat Plant (MCMP) Study prepared by Shermain Hardesty & John Harper, UCCE, August 2013
- Options for Increased Processing Capacity in California’s Central Coast Region, NMPAN, October 2015
- The State of USDA Inspected Red Meat Harvest & Processing Industry in northeast, Cornell, March 2019
- Marin & Sonoma Alternative Livestock Production and Marketing a Survey of Marin Livestock Producers by UCCE Marin, 2005.
- Meat & Poultry Buying at Farmers' Markets a Survey of Shoppers at Four Markets in Oregon by Oregon State University Extension Office.
- Resource Guide to Direct Marketing Livestock & Poultry by Cornell University, 2011. NOTE: Some regulations may not be the same in CA.
- Selling to Chefs, wholesale at a farmers market from UCCE Small Farm Program.
NOTE: ANY meat processing done on the farm in Sonoma County requires a Use Permit. Please contact the Agriculture Ombudsman to discuss this: Klgiov@ucanr.edu 707-565-2328.
Organizations and Newsletters
- Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network a Cooperative Extension community of practice that works on a national and sometimes international level providing technical assistance to niche meat processors, meat producers, and the wider niche meat value chain. Subscribe to their Google Group.
- North American Meat Association a national trade association that represents companies that process 95 percent of red meat and 70 percent of turkey products in the US and their suppliers throughout America.
- Small Plant News by USDA FSIS.
Meat Food Safety and HACCP
- Compliance Guides Index processing guides by USDA FSIS.
- HACCP resources by Niche Meat Processor Assistance Network.
For profit entities:
- Dirigo Food Safety food safety consultants.
- International HACCP Alliance provides training around the U.S. Texas A&M Department of Animal Science
- Range Meat Academy Online offers various classes for meat clerks, butchers, and others who prepare and sell meat (learn customer service, meat cuts, cooking tips, merchandising, & more).
- Richard Stier, local food scientist and food safety consultant.
- Beginner's Guide to Local Meat Processing by NMPAN, for livestock producers and processors.
- Buy or Build: Evaluating buying, renovating or building a new meat plant webinar by NMPAN with three USDA inspected meat processors. Dec 2018
- Livestock Marketing & Processing by ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture market resources for organic livestock producers, including pricing, sales data, market trends, and other market data, organic trade associations, directories, and other organic marketing publications and resources.
- Plant Design and Construction by NMPAN - designs, costs, wastewater processing, equipping, mobile or stationary, etc
- Software for Inventory & Traceability Tracking for Meat Processors
- USDA Federal Grant of Inspection Guide to aid those who are contemplating applying for Federal Grant of Inspection to become a USDA inspected facility.
- USDA Tools for Small & Midsized Livestock & Poultry (pdf ppt) resources for producers and processors including information about grants and other support programs.
- Mobile Slaughter Webinars by NMPAN
- Think Inside the Box: Containerized Meat Processing Solutions a webinar Jan 2017 presented by NMPAN
- USDA FSIS Small Plant Help Desk has two DVD’s on mobile slaughter units. They will send them to you via US Mail free of charge. All you need to do is provide your address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Pricing Cuts of Meat
Cooperative Extension at Cornell University created the Cornell Price & Yield Calculator that will help you price meat for a profit. This is for beef, lamb, pork and goats.
Meat & Poultry Harvest & Processing Facilities:
- Grimaud Farms, Stockton - USDA poultry, large minimums, this plant is mostly for their own product, but they make it available to outside producers one day a week, pick up day later.
- Marin Sun Farms, Petaluma - harvest, cut & wrap, USDA, beef, lambs, pork and goats.
- New American Poultry, Sacramento - USDA harvest, leaves on feet and head, same day pick up.
- Sonoma County Meat Company, Santa Rosa - cut & wrap, CDFA and USDA meat processing (no poultry or ducks), USDA value add available: sausage, smoked.
- Squab Producers, Modesto - USDA poultry.
Find a processor:
- USDA FSIS Meat, Poultry & Egg Product Inspection Directory - filter for CA and order by Zip Code to find closest facilities.
Additional information for/about processing:
- Working Effectively with Your Processor - eXtension recording of a webinar as well as the transcript.
- Working With your Meat Processor - ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture publication.
- The Butcher Stole My Meat? - probably not. One page fact sheet from Penn State illustrating the conversion of live weight to meat for beef, pork and lamb.
Please visit On-farm Poultry Processing with USDA Exemption for details specific to poultry processing.
Additional UCCE Poultry References:
- UCCE Poultry for backyard, small-scale and commercial production operations.
- Pasture-Based Poultry by UCCE Foothill Farming with resources for both egg production and meat birds.
- Poultry Specific Resources by NMPAN.
- Break-even Analysis of Small-Scale Production of Pastured Organic Poultry The economics of pastured poultry matter to small poultry processors by Washington State University, January 2015.
- See also NMPANs Poultry Resources page.
- USDA Guidance for Determining Exemption from Inspection Requirements of the Poultry Products Inspection Act.
- How to Handle, Slaughter & Process Chicken on the Farm YouTube by North Carolina Cooperative Extension.
- Poultry Processing guides by Sustainable Ag Research & Education (SARE).