New Volunteer Training
- The UC Master Food Preserver Program of Sonoma County complies with the COVID-19 policies and procedures of the County of Sonoma and the University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. UC ANR - Guidance for Statewide Volunteer Programs
Who Can Apply
- Priority given to Sonoma County residents.
- Applicants must be comfortable using a computer and accessing the internet. Class will be in person. Quizzes and homework are online; class communication is via email.
How to Apply
- The application window to apply for the 2023 UC Master Food Preserver Program of Sonoma County has closed. Please check back later this year for information about our 2024 training class.
What We'll Do
- Review applications. The main criteria for acceptance is: 1) prior community service, 2) experience teaching, either by giving presentations, writing, or in one-on-one situations, 3) experience/interest in home food preservation.
- Request that approved applicants complete and pass a Dept. of Justice (DOJ) clearance, including fingerprinting.
- Teach you how to preserve food successfully using scientifically researched home processes.
- Teach you how to educate our community about safe home food preservation.
- Provide you with plenty of fun volunteer and continuing education opportunities.
What You'll Do If Accepted
- Pay the $250 course fee by Friday, February 24, 2023. Partial scholarships are available.
- Attend all classes and hands-on labs. Only one class may be missed and must be completed outside of normal class time with a mentor.
- Complete the (DOJ) Live Scan fingerprinting process. See the Volunteer Fingerprinting Procedure for instructions, downloading the form and completing the process.
- Attend UC Master Food Preserver Program of Sonoma County (MFP) business meetings (date/time TBD). At this time some meetings are online via Zoom and some are in-person.
- Complete 50 volunteer hours your first full program year, and 25 volunteer and 12 continuing education hours each year thereafter.
- Pass an annual food safety reappointment quiz.
- Have fun!
Class Locations / Times
- All classes will be at either the UC Cooperative Extension office (133 Aviation Blvd., Suite 109, Santa Rosa, CA 95403) or the Youth Ag & Leadership Fdn. of Sonoma County (6445 Commerce Blvd., Rohnert Park, CA 94928).
- All classes are on Saturdays from 9am - 4pm as follows (lecture and hands-on):
- March 4, 2023
- March 11, 2023
- March 25, 2023
- April 1, 2023
- April 15, 2023
- April 29, 2023
- May 6, 2023
- May 20, 2023
2023 Training Program Classes