The Nutrition, Family, and Consumer Sciences (NFCS) programs promote healthy families and communities by designing, delivering and evaluating strategies for sustained behavior change in youth, their families and communities.
NFCS advisors and specialists conduct research-based extension and education and perform applied research in the general disciplinary area of nutrition and family and consumer sciences, with an emphasis on:
- Food literacy;
- Obesity prevention;
- Nutrition and healthy lifestyles;
- Increasing food security through food resource management practices;
- Preventing food borne illness;
- Financial literacy and food resource management;
- Consumer education.
Through our programs, we work with youth and adults. We partner with community and government agencies, associations, school districts, and non-profit groups.
NFCS Advisors provide subject matter expertise and academic oversight to all NFCS programs within counties. NFCS Programs include:
- California EFNEP
- UC Master Food Preserver
- CalFresh Healthy Living, University of California
See our list of Nutrition, Family, and Consumer Sciences (NFCS) advisors and specialists.