Working with Strat Comm
Strategic Communications is a small (but mighty) team serving a division with more than 1,600 employees spread throughout the state. We rely on input from and relationships with our internal stakeholders in order to promote UC ANR and extend valuable information to new audiences.
6 ways to partner with us to help tell your story:
1. Share information about research findings, popular blog posts you've written, story ideas that are brewing or any major communications initiatives you're working on by emailing email@example.com. We'll discuss your input at our weekly content planning meetings and likely put it in our editorial calendar.
2. Working on a major initiative? Request an invitation to our weekly content planning meeting (Monday Zoom calls at 11:00 am) to brainstorm how we can support you. Past discussions with internal stakeholders have covered annual report development, how to get your information out to local media, Giving Tuesday campaigns, UC Delivers stories, national 4-H week activities and more.
3. Share stories from the field for inclusion in the Knowledge Stream blog. There's a submit button in the top right corner of the blog. Along with the blog, your story may be featured in one of the flexible ucanr.edu home page tiles.
4. Team with us to help build or promote a thematic website that brings together a wide range of UC ANR expertise in a particular issue area (wildfires, climate change, healthy soils, nutrition, etc.). Centralized content is good for search engine optimization because it gives us search authority - meaning that more Californians can find UC ANR knowledge and expertise when they are searching for information.
5. Request training. Strategic Communications offers a variety of training programs in media relations, social media, content marketing and other communications topics. We can usually either train you or steer you toward training resources that have been developed internally or are available through LinkedIn Learning and other sources.
6. Invite us to meetings that will include content development discussions so we can gather ideas for our editorial calendar and be aware of what the trending or salient topics are in your work. We can also present at these meetings on communications strategies, ways to partner with us, best practices, etc.
Who to contact
While there are general "beats" within our team as described below, please feel free to reach out to any of us with your questions - we'll find the answer if we don't know it offhand.
Blogs in English (Food, Green, News, Healthy Communities): Jeannette Warnert
Blogs in Spanish (Nuestra Comunidad, Blog de Alimentos): Ricardo Vela
Spanish-language media relations: Ricardo Vela
Translation services: Ricardo Vela