Dr Paul Gepts
AES Geneticist ProfessorDepartment of Plant Sciences - Section of Crop & Ecosystem Sciences / MS1
1 Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8780
SpecialtyCrop evolution, genetic conservation, gene flow, molecular evolution, genetics and genomics of beans, breeding of dry beans (lima, garbanzo, common)
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Beans, Dry - General
- Beans, Dry - Common
- Beans, Dry - Lima
- Beans, Dry - Other
- Plant Genome, Genetics, and Genetic Mechanisms
- Plant Genetic Resources
- Plant Biological Efficiency and Abiotic Stresses Affecting Plants
- Plant Management Systems
- Basic Plant Biology
- Gepts, P., T. Famula, et al. Eds. (2012). Biodiversity in agriculture: domestication, evolution, and sustainability. Cambridge, U.K, Cambridge University Press.
- M, Worthington, Soleri D (2012). "Genetic composition and spatial distribution of farmer-managed Phaseolus bean plantings: an example from a village in Oaxaca, Mexico." Crop Sci 52: 1721-1735.
- Alo, F., B.J. Furman (2011). "Leveraging genomic resources of model species for the assessment of phylogeny in wild and domesticated lentil." Journal of Heredity 102: 315-329.
- Nanni, L., E. Bitocchi (2011). "Nucleotide diversity of a genomic sequence similar to SHATTERPROOF (PvSHP1) in domesticated and wild common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)." Theoretical and Applied Genetics 123: 1341-1357.
- Fonseca, Artur, Joana Ferreira (2010). "Cytogenetic map of common bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.)." Chromosome Research 18(4): 487-502.
- Hanai, Luiz, Luciane Santini (2010). "Extension of the core map of common bean with EST-SSR, RGA, AFLP, and putative functional markers." Molecular Breeding 25: 25-45.
- Burle, M.L., J. Fonseca (2010). "Microsatellite diversity and genetic structure among common bean (." Theoretical and Applied Genetics 121(5): 801-813.
- Dyer, George A., J. Antonio Serratos-Hernández (2009). "Dispersal of transgenes through maize seed systems in Mexico." PLoS ONE 4(5): e5734.
- Pineyro-Nelson, Alma, Joost Van Heerwaarden (2009). "Resolution of the Mexican transgene detection controversy: error sources and scientific practice in commercial and ecological contexts." Molecular Ecology 18(20): 4145-4150.
- Kwak, M. and P. Gepts (2009). "Structure of genetic diversity in the two major gene pools of common bean (." Theoretical and Applied Genetics 118: 979-992.
- Kwak, M., J.A. Kami (2009). "The putative Mesoamerican domestication center of Phaseolus vulgaris is located in the Lerma-Santiago Basin of Mexico." Crop Science 49(2): 554-563.
- Pineyro-Nelson, Alma, Joost Van Heerwaarden (2009). "Transgenes in Mexican maize: molecular evidence and methodological considerations for GMO detection in landrace populations." Molecular Ecology 18(4): 750-761.
- David, P., M. Sevignac (2008). "BAC end sequences corresponding to the B4 resistance gene cluster in common bean: a resource for markers and synteny analyses." Molecular Genetics and Genomics 280(6): 521-533.
- Gepts, P. et al. (2008). Genomics of Phaseolus beans, a major source of dietary protein and micronutrients in the tropics. Genomics of Tropical Crop Plants.P. Moore and R. Ming. Berlin, Springer.: 113-143.
- Pasquet, Rémy S., Alexis Peltier (2008). "Long-distance pollen flow assessment through evaluation of pollinator foraging range suggests transgene escape distances." Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA 105(36): 13456-13461.
- Gepts P, Bettinger RL, Brush SB (2012). The domestication of plants and animals: ten unanswered questions. Biodiversity in agriculture: domestication, evolution, and sustainability. Cambridge, U.K, Cambridge University Press.: 1-8.
- Galván, M.Z., M. Hufford (2010). "Genetic diversity of Mesoamerican and Andean wild beans using microsatellite markers." Annual Report of the Bean Improvement Cooperative 53: 74-75.
- Zizumbo, Daniel, R Papa (2009). "Identification of new wild populations of." Annual Report of the Bean Improvement Cooperative 52: 24-25.
- Gepts, P. (2008). "Does the fin gene for determinacy control meristem fate or early flowering?" Annu. Rep. Bean Improv. Coop 51: 108-109.
- Marvier, M., Y. CarriÃ¨re (2008). "Harvesting data from genetically engineered crops." Science 320: 452-453.
- Kwak, M., D.M. Velasco (2008). "Mapping homologous sequences for determinacy and photoperiod sensitivity in common bean (." J. Hered 99: 283-291.
- Stacey, G. (2008). Phaseolus vulgaris. Genetics and Genomics of Soybean. New York, Springer.: 55-76.
- Pedrosa-Harand, A., T. Porch (2008). "Standard nomenclature for common bean chromosomes and linkage groups." Annual Report of the Bean Improvement Cooperative 51: 106-107.
- Ming, R. and P. Moore (2008). Tropical environments, biodiversity, and the origin of crops. Genomics of Tropical Crop Plants. Berlin, Springer.: 1-20.
- Chambers, K.J., S.B. Brush (2007). "Describing maize (." Econ Bot 61: 60-72.
- MartÃnez-Castillo, J., D. Zizumbo-Villareal (2007). "Gene flow and genetic structure in the wild-weedy-domesticated complex of." Crop Science 47: 58-66.
- Grisi, M.C. de M., R.P. Vianello Brondani (2007). "Genetic mapping of a new set of microsatellite markers in a reference common bean (." Genet Molec Res 6: 691-706.
- Acosta-Gallegos, J. A., J. D. Kelly (2007). "Prebreeding in common bean and use of genetic diversity from wild germplasm." Crop Science 47: S44-S59.
- Papa, Roberto, Elisa Bellucci (2007). "Tagging the signatures of domestication in common bean (." Annals of Botany 100(5): 1039-1051.
- Alo, F., E. Akhunov (2006). Characterization of a lentil germplasm collection by direct sequencing of sequence-tagged sites produced with primers based on. Plant and Animal Genome XIV, San Diego, CA,
- Kami, J., V. Poncet (2006). "Development of four phylogenetically-arrayed BAC libraries and sequence of the APA locus in." Theor. Appl. Genet 112: 987 - 998.
- Feleke, Y. , R.S. Pasquet (2006). "Development of PCR-based chloroplast DNA markers that characterize domesticated cowpea (." Plant Systematics and Evolution: in press.
- Gepts, P. (2006). "Plant genetic resources conservation and utilization: The accomplishments and future of a societal insurance policy." Crop Science 46(5): 2278-2292.
- MartÃnez-Castillo, J., D. Zizumbo-Villarreal (2006). "Structure and genetic diversity of wild populations of lima bean (." Crop Sci 46: 1071â??1080.
- Gepts, Paul and Jim Hancock (2006). "The future of plant breeding." Crop Sci 46(4): 1630-1634.
- Papa, R, Jorge Acosta (2005). "A genome-wide analysis of differentiation between wild and domesticated." Theor. Appl. Genet 111: 1147-1158.
- GonzÃ¡lez, A, A Wong (2005). "Assessment of Inter Simple Sequence Repeat markers to differentiate sympatric wild and domesticated populations of common bean (." Crop Science 35: 606-615.
- Snow, A.A, D.A Andow (2005). "Genetically engineered organisms and the environment: Current status and recommendations." Ecological Applications 15: 377-404.
- Nanni, L., A. Losa (2005). Identification and molecular diversity of a genomic sequence similar to SHATTERPROOF (. Plant and Animal Genome XIII, Jan. 15-19, 2005, San Diego,
- Gepts, P. (2005). Introduction of transgenic crops in centers of origin and domestication. Controversies in Science & Technology: From Maize to Menopause.A. Kinchy, J. Handelsman and D. Kleinman. Madison, WI, University of Wisconsin Press.: 119-134.
- Gepts, Paul, William D. Beavis (2005). "Legumes as a model plant family. Genomics for food and feed Report of the Cross-Legume Advances through Genomics Conference." Plant Physiol 137(4): 1228-1235.
- Kwak, M, J Kami (2005). Mapping potential candidate genes for the determinacy (. Plant & Animal Genome XIII, San Diego,
- Zizumbo-Villarreal, D., P. Colunga-GarcÃaMarÃn (2005). "Population structure and evolutionary dynamics of wildâweedyâdomesticated complexes of common bean in a Mesoamerican region." Crop Sci 35: 1073-1083.
- PayrÃ³ de la Cruz, E , P Gepts (2005). "Spatial distribution of genetic diversity in wild populations of." Genetic Resources and Crop Evolution 52: 589â??599.
- Papa, R. and P. Gepts (2004). Asymmetric gene flow and introgression between wild and domesticated populations. Introgression from genetically modified plants into wild relatives and its consequences.J. Sweet, D. Den Nijs and D. Den Nijs. Oxon, UK, CABI.: 125-138.
- Berthaud, J. and Paul Gepts (2004, 2004). "Chapter Three: Assessment of effects on genetic diversity. In: Maize and biodiversity: The effects of transgenic maize in Mexico. http://www.cec.org/files/PDF//Maize-Biodiversity-Chapter3_en.pdf." Retrieved January 7, 2006,
- Gepts,P (2004). "Domestication as a long-term selection experiment." Plant Breeding Reviews 24 (Part 2): 1-44.
- Mkandawire, A. B. C., R. B. Mabagala (2004). "Genetic diversity and pathogenic variation of common blight bacteria (." Phytopathology 94(6): 593-603.
- Mkandawire, A. B. C., R. B. Mabagala (2004). "Genetic diversity and pathogenic variation of common blight bacteria (Xanthomonas campestris pv. phaseoli and X. campestris pv. phaseoli var. fuscans) suggests pathogen coevolution with the common bean." Phytopathology 94(6): 593-603.
- Snow, A.A, D.A Andowhttp://www.esa.org/pao/esaPositions/Papers/geo_position.htm. (2004, 2004). "Genetically engineered organisms and the environment: Current status and recommendations. Ecological Society of America Position Paper." from
- McClean, P, P Gepts (2004). Genomics and genetic diversity in common bean. Legume crop genomics.R. Wilson, R. Wilson and R. Wilson. Champaign, IL, AOCS Press.: 60-82.
- Pallottini, L, E Garcia (2004). "The genetic anatomy of a patented yellow bean." Crop Sci 44: 968-977.
- Gepts, P (2004). "Who owns biodiversity and how should the owners be compensated?" Plant Physiology 134: 1295-1307.
- Papa, R and P Gepts (2003). "Asymmetry of gene flow and differential geographical structure of molecular diversity in wild and domesticated common bean (." Theoretical and Applied Genetics 106: 239-250.
- Gepts, P and R Papa (2003). "Possible effects of (trans) gene flow from crops on the genetic diversity from landraces and wild relatives." Environmental Biosafety Research 2: 89-103.
- Kelly, J.D., P Gepts (2003). "Tagging and mapping of genes and QTL and molecular marker-assisted selection for traits of economic importance in bean and cowpea." Field Crops Research 82: 135â??154.
- Gepts, P (2003). Ten thousand years of crop evolution. Plant, genes, and crop biotechnology.D. Sadava and M. Chrispeels. Sudbury, MA, Jones and Bartlett.: 328-359.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Grain Legume - Member
- Linking Research & Education in Agricultural & Environmental Biotechnology - Member