Cover Cropping in Vineyards
Is Cover Cropping for YOU?
Cover crops can have many benefits in the right site with the right choice of cover.
In the wrong site, however, cover crops will compete too much for precious water with the grape crop, and also affect frost incidence on the vine and pests like thrips and gophers.
University of California Resources:
- Cover Cropping in Vineyards: A Grower’s Handbook, UCANR Publication 3338
- Managing vineyard soil organic matter with cover crops, UC Davis Viticulture & Enology
- Vineyard Floor Management, Integrated Viticulture
UCCE Cover Cropping Field Day Presentations
Is a cover crop the right choice for you? This workshop focused on the how, what, pros and cons of cover cropping, a workshop for any interested foothill grower (not just grape growers).
- Cover Cropping Field Day, L.R. Wunderlich, Farm Advisor UCCE Central Sierra & Chuck Ingels, Farm Advisor UCCE Sacramento County
- Cover Cropping and Drought, L.R. Wunderlich, UCCE Farm Advisor, UCCE Central Sierra and C.A. Ingels, Farm Advisor, UCCE Sacramento County
- Cover Cropping Publications, list of publications
- Nitrogen Basics – The Nitrogen Cycle, Cornell University Cooperative Extension