FROST damage can occur in foothill vineyards in Spring and in Fall, and should be a consideration when choosing a vineyard location and appropriate varieties.
Rick Snyder, UC Biometeorology Specialist, has training units, available in English and Spanish on the Department of Land, Air and Water Resources website.
- Active Frost Protection: Water
- Active Frost Protection: Wind Machines
- Passive Frost Protection
- Methods of Measuring Temperature
Rick Snyder's handout: Grapevine Frost Protection presentation.
- UC Davis Biometeorology Group's Frost Protection webpage:
- When to turn sprinklers on or off for frost protection
- Predicting temperature trends during freeze nights
- A simple method to measure the dew point temperature
- Sprinkler application rates for freeze protection
- Principles of frost protection