Water Quality, Quantity and Security
Our Strategic Initiatives (SI) help unify, communicate and advocate for the work we do.
Water is the life blood of California's economy and the underpinning of its diverse ecosystems. As such, water supply and quality are critical issues facing the state's agricultural, urban, and environmental settings now and in the foreseeable future. Accordingly, the initiative works in the key areas of:
- Safe & secure drinking water
- Safe & secure surface water
- Safe & sustainable groundwater
- Holistic water management
The Water SI supports a broad spectrum of expertise and uses a systems approach to identify and address emerging issues including:
- Conservation and enhancement strategies to bolster water resources and meet increasing agricultural, urban, and ecosystem water demands
- Sustainable farm, urban, and natural resource management practices to protect soil and water quality from salinity, sediment, pathogens, excess nutrients, trace elements, and other contaminants
- Quantifying the impacts of climate change on California’s precious water resources and consequent impacts on agriculture, urban, and ecosystems, while seeking ways to make these sectors more resilient to climate related risks
See UC Delivers for examples of impact in the Water SI.
UC ANR members can share the impact of their work - it's easy. Click here to find out how.
See funding opportunities listed with UC ANR Contracts & Grants
See Opportunity & Matching grants (small grants to help with urgent time-sensitive needs)
Trees are essential to lowering temperatures and cooling ‘heat islands' Water restrictions prompted by drought are driving Californians to...
California Farmer Implements Cover Cropping in Almond Orchard to Improve Soil Quality and Reduce Inputs
Ten years ago, Rob Schuh was on the verge of retiring. As a lifelong farmer, he had become disillusioned by how his work had become a series of...
It's intuitive that wildfires can affect ecosystems, harm wildlife, and contaminate streams and rivers. But wildfires can also have complex,...