Research & Reports
UC ANR researchers have studied California agritourism operators and agritourism visitors, have mapped California agritourism, and have participated with other researchers on multi-state studies of agritourism operations and visitors.
- Mapping California Agritourism 2015 - maps created from multiple lists of agritourism operations and on-vineyard wineries.
- Influences Affecting Agritourism Success in the Western U.S. This presentation shares some results of a survey of agritourism operators conducted in early 2015 in both California and Colorado.
- The presentation is part of a multi-state research project led by researchers at Colorado State University: Place Based Innovation: An Integrated Look at Agritourism in the Western U.S.
- California agritourism operations and their economic potential are growing. This peer-reviewed research article was published in California Agriculture Volume 65, No.2, April-June 2011, reporting final results of California's first statewide economic survey of agritourism operators, conducted in 2009 by researchers from UC Cooperative Extension and the UC Small Farm Program.
- First statewide agritourism survey yields early results. This article is an overview of preliminary findings from the 2009 survey, from Small Farm News 2, 2009.
- Survey of California agritourism operators, 2009. This presentation shares additional data and graphs, and was first presented at the 2009 National Extension Tourism Conference.
- Information Channels Reaching Agricultural and On-Farm Nature Tourism Visitors(2007)
- Consumer Demand for Agricultural and On-Farm Nature Tourism (2005)
- Obstacles in the Agritourism Regulatory Process(2003). Brief (PDF) from the UC Agricultural Issues Center examines perspectives of agritourism operators and officials in 10 California counties.
Other related resources
- Website: Visit California Industry - research reports, state and county level statistics and trends in California tourism
- Summary of different state agritourism legislation benefitting agritourism from the National Agricultural Law Center
Regional agritourism studies
Articles and presentations by University of California researchers
- Unique Niches: Agritourism in Britain and New England
by Ellie Rilla, Director, Marin and Sonoma Counties UC Cooperative Extension, 1999
- Agritourism Benefits Agriculture in San Diego County
by Ramiro Lobo et al, 1999
- El Dorado - From Gold Rush to Agritourism: The Search for Sustainable Development in California
by Desmond Jolly and Mario Moratorio, 2000