Research & Reports
To investigate the political, social, and economic characteristics of agritourism in California researchers from the University of California have studied California agritourism operators and agritourism visitors, have mapped California agritourism, and have participated with other researchers on multi-state studies of agritourism operations and visitors.
- California's agritourism operations expand despite facing regulatory challenges. This article, published in California Agriculture Volume 74, No. 3, on October 20, 2020, presents findings from a collection of surveys, showing that agritourism operators in California need increased support from their local governments and the state regarding regulatory requirements.
- Mapping California Agritourism 2015 - maps created from multiple lists of agritourism operations and on-vineyard wineries.
- Influences Affecting Agritourism Success in the Western U.S. This presentation shares some results of a survey of agritourism operators conducted in early 2015 in both California and Colorado.
- The presentation is part of a multi-state research project led by researchers at Colorado State University: Place Based Innovation: An Integrated Look at Agritourism in the Western U.S.
- Agritourism and Nature Tourism in California (2011)
This 150-page workbook aims to assist farmers and ranchers in developing an agritourism enterprise.
- California agritourism operations and their economic potential are growing. This peer-reviewed research article was published in California Agriculture Volume 65, No.2, April-June 2011, reporting final results of California's first statewide economic survey of agritourism operators, conducted in 2009 by researchers from UC Cooperative Extension and the UC Small Farm Program.
- First statewide agritourism survey yields early results. This article is an overview of preliminary findings from the 2009 survey, from Small Farm News 2, 2009.
- Survey of California agritourism operators, 2009. This presentation shares additional data and graphs, and was first presented at the 2009 National Extension Tourism Conference.
- Information Channels Reaching Agricultural and On-Farm Nature Tourism Visitors (2007)
- Consumer Demand for Agricultural and On-Farm Nature Tourism (2005)
- Obstacles in the Agritourism Regulatory Process (2003). Brief (PDF) from the UC Agricultural Issues Center examines perspectives of agritourism operators and officials in 10 California counties.
Other related resources
- Website: Visit California Industry - research reports, state and county level statistics and trends in California tourism
- Summary of different state agritourism legislation benefitting agritourism from the National Agricultural Law Center
Regional agritourism studies
Articles and presentations by University of California researchers
- Unique Niches: Agritourism in Britain and New England
by Ellie Rilla, Director, Marin and Sonoma Counties UC Cooperative Extension, 1999
- Agritourism Benefits Agriculture in San Diego County
by Ramiro Lobo et al, 1999
- El Dorado - From Gold Rush to Agritourism: The Search for Sustainable Development in California
by Desmond Jolly and Mario Moratorio, 2000