Collaboration & Community
California agritourism is often organized and promoted by regional or county associations of farmers and ranchers - sometimes supported by local government or community organizations. This section provides examples and resources for collaborative agritourism development and promotion.
As part of this project, UC Small Farm Program staff interviewed leaders of twenty California regional agricultural marketing organizations and compiled information from earlier interviews and presentations from four other groups. This guide is a summary of the experiences and advice from leaders of those 24 groups. Other California regional agricultural marketing groups will have had different experiences, and many members of the groups discussed here may also have had different experiences. The focus of this guide is to share the experiences and advice of a representative group of leaders with other groups of California agricultural producers with similar goals and intentions.
Building a Farm Trail Project 2013 - 2015: Examples of farm trail map development and resources for collaborative agritourism marketing.
More about partnerships
- The Community: Powerful Promotions through Partners - webinar with Tiffany Dozier, Yolo County Visitors Bureau and Evan Oakes, Ag Venture Tours and Consulting
Tiffany Dozier's presentation slides (Working with your DMO)
Evan Oakes' presentation slides (Organizing tours and working with tourism and hospitality partners)
- One-page factsheet: Tips for Building Marketing and Community Partnerships
- Guide - Agritourism Best Practices: Collaboration, from AFRI project #2014-68006-21842, Colorado State University
Stories from associations
- Presentation: Community Agritourism Associations - Devon Riley, Oak Glen Apple Growers Association
- Presentation: Developing Agri-Tourism in the Ramona Valley AVA - Elaine Lyttleton & Bill Schweitzer, Ramona Valley Vineyard Association
- Presentation by Stuart Spencer: Lodi Winegrape Commission - LOCA
- Presentation: Suisun Valley Evolution to Agritourism - Roger King, Suisun Valley Vintners and Growers
- Presentation: California Cheese Trail Update - Vivien Straus, California Cheese Trail founder
- Sierra Oro Farm Trail - Presentation by Jamie and Nicole Johansson
- Getting Started with Agritourism, the "Weekend in the Country" model by Robyn Smith, Yosemite/Sequoia Resource Conservation and Development Council