ANR Peer Review and Publication Production
University of California
ANR Peer Review and Publication Production

How to obtain permission to use a photo

You can customize the attached sample letter and send it to the copyright holder of the material you wish to use. Note: It is an author’s responsibility to pay any fees the copyright holder may require.

Once permission is granted, you should send a copy of the permission-granting letter to your Communication Services project editor to ensure proper credit is given in the publication.

How do I know what needs a permission?

If you want to use a photograph, illustration, chart or other material that was previously published somewhere else, including on a Web site, keep in mind that permission depends on what you want to use and who controls the copyright.

  • You do not need permission to use material that is copyrighted The Regents of the University of California.
  • You do not need permission to use material produced or published by the U.S. federal government or any of its agencies. These materials are in the public domain.
  • Material produced by state and local governments are generally under copyright; look for the copyright notice on the publication. Even if the copyright notice is absent, it is best to get permission.
  • Material taken from Web sites may be under copyright. Look for a copyright statement or terms of use on the site.

Contact Cynthia Kintigh or your editor at Communication Services for more information.

Webmaster Email: