National 4-H Conference
National 4-H Conference
April 19-24, 2024
In Person and Online
Hyatt Regency Crystal City, Arlington, VA
National 4-H Conference is the pinnacle experience in 4-H Civic Engagement, providing the opportunity for young people to connect, learn, engage, lead and impact their communities, nation and world.
Hosted by the USDA
As a delegate, you represent California 4-H
If you are selected as a delegate to represent California 4-H at the conference, you will have the following opportunities:
- Participate in round table discussions
- Share your voice with federal partner agencies and congressional committees
- Engage with your U.S. Senators and Representatives
- Tour national landmarks in Washington, D.C.
- Become familiar with the government and future career opportunities
Travel and conference expenses are sponsored by a generous grant from the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation.
Apply for National 4-H Conference
Youth Delegates must be at least 16 years of age as of December 31, 2023 and enrolled as a 4-H Youth Member. 4-H members can only serve as a delegate to National 4-H Conference once.
Completed applications are due by 5:00pm November 30, 2023. Completed applications must include the following:
References should include one each of the following
- County 4-H staff person: 4-H Program Representative, 4-H Regional Program Supervisor, 4-H Advisor, or County Director
- 4-H Member or recent 4-H alumni (not over 21 years of age)
References should not be a family member. References will only be accepted through the link below. Additional Letters of Reference will not be accepted.
The aim of the selection committee is to select a team that encompasses the diversity of California and the University of California 4-H Youth Development Program. The selection committee aims to select up to six 4-H members from Community Clubs, School Enrichment and After-School programming; and one 4-H Professional. The State 4-H Office may actively recruit or modify the makeup of the team to ensure diverse representation.
The evaluation of candidates is weighted as follows:
- 20% 4-H Resume
- 50% Essay Questions
- 10% Unique characteristics and skills
- 20% References
Delegates should possess the following characteristics:
- Able to work and communicate effectively with peers, executives, and the public.
- Broad 4-H experience (within and beyond the county.
- Well acquainted with the entire University of California 4-H Youth Development Program.
- Able to participate fully in a very active and demanding program involving long hours.
- A role model—through actions and words, show a respect for human dignity and an appreciation for people of all races, ethnicities, genders, religions, abilities, and sexual orientations.
Schedule & Expectations
- December 15, 2023 Notification letter will be emailed to applicants.
- January 18, 2024 Team Meeting-online 6:30pm-8:30pm
- February 8, 2024 Team Meeting online, 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
Additional pre-conference meetings will be scheduled by the team at the first meeting.
Expectation for delegates
Prior to Conference
- Attend the team meetings via webinar and in person
- Gather facts, opinions, and data from the 4-H Youth Development Program at the local, county, sectional, and state levels
- Interview a 4-H Professional in your county and submit a recap to the California 4-H Office about the variety of services and programs offered by the 4-H Program in your local county and throughout California.
- As a team, develop a consistent message from California 4-H to deliver at the conference.
- Be an active participant while attending the National 4-H Conference.
- Be flexible, adaptable, and able to get along well with many types of personalities
- Attend the team post-conference meeting via webinar
- Complete a team report about the conference.
- Write a thank you note to the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Foundation.
- Complete a post conference project.