- (Public Value) UCANR: Promoting healthy people and communities
- Author: Maria Murrietta
The UC Master Gardener volunteer program serves the citizens in San Luis Obispo County to help them flourish and maximize their success in the garden. Master Gardeners work to maintain the Garden of the Seven Sisters in San Luis Obispo, a hands-on educational facility that also provided the local community with over 1,100 lbs of fresh produce in 2019, through donations to the SLO County Food Bank Coalition.
It takes a lot of people and a variety of resources to run the Garden the Seven Sisters which provides science-based learning opportunities that focus on sustainable garden practices.
For example, in 2019, our 90 Certified Master Gardener volunteers achieved the following:
- Over 5,000 hours of work and completed 1100 hours of continuing education.
- 500 people consulted Helpline for garden information and advice
- 1,000 people attended our monthly Advice to Grow By workshops
- 350 people attended the Fall Festival
- 100 people attended the Lunchtime in the Garden, many of whom were seeing the garden for the first time
- Master Gardeners facilitated 18 additional speaking engagements, and staffed 10 information tables at community events and festivals
- Our new class of 2020 includes 32 new trainees who are currently completing 54 hours of educational training to become certified Master Gardeners.
All these efforts and accomplishments would not be possible without the generous support of the SLO County community.
Save the Date: June 5th is World Environmental Day and the Big Dig Day. This is the day to Dig Deep and support the programs you care about. We invite you to support the programs and services that enrich our county.
Every dollar counts. Your donation of just $15 to the Master Gardener Program of SLO County could help us purchase soil and seeds for the donation plot.