Butte County Master Gardeners
Chico Farmers Market
December 20, 7:30am to 12:30pm
Downtown Chico Municipal Parking Lot 2nd St. & Wall St.
Come by with your gardening questions. Samples and
photos are encouraged.
What's New on the Site
Neonicotinoids and Pollinators
Butte County Master Gardener
December 19, 2014
Declining populations of European honey bees, native bees and other pollinators have been well documented over the past few years. Research indicates that a combination of factors have contributed to this decline. These factors include: habitat loss; poor nutrition; parasites such as the varroa mite; pathogens such as fungi and viruses; and exposure to pesticides. The role of chemical pesticides in the decline of pollinators has been widely studied. Eric Mussen, a University of California Cooperative Extension expert on beekeeping (apiculturist), reported that researchers have found nearly 150...
Gardening Tips for December
- Water plants as needed.
- Harvest winter vegetables.
- Cut chrysanthemums to 6”-8” above the ground after bloom.
- Choose a living Christmas tree; keep it outside until Christmas week.
- Prune non-flowering trees and shrubs while dormant.
- Clean, sharpen, and store garden tools.
- Mulch, water, and cover tender plants to protect from frost. Be sure to remove coverings during the day.
- Brighten the holidays with poinsettias, amaryllis, calendulas, Iceland poppies, pansies, and primroses.
- Stabilize plants that could be damaged by high winds.
- Prune large trees to prepare for winter storms.
Vegetable Planting Guides
Visit or Call the Hotline
Or, drop by the Butte County Cooperative Extension Office
2279-B Del Oro Avenue
Oroville, CA 95965
Catch us in person at local Farmers’ Markets or at one of our informational booths. Check out where we'll be on the Events page.
What’s Hot at the Hotline?
When should I spray for peach leaf curl? Answer.
Help us Grow
Master Gardeners is a self-funded volunteer organization. If you'd like to help fund our educational programs, please fill out and mail in our Master Gardeners Donation Form. We also accept donations of goods and services.