Rice Farming Systems Advisor & Butte County DirectorCooperative Extension Butte County
5 County Center Drive
Oroville, CA 95965
Ph.D. Entomology, Texas A&M University. 2007
M.Ag. Agronomy, Texas A&M University. 1999
B.S. Agronomy, Universidad Nacional Agraria La Molina. 1996
- Distinguished Rice Reserach and Education Team Award
Presented by Rice Technical Working Group, 2014
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Management Systems
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Beneficial Insects
- Karn, E.; De Leon, T. (2020). Effects of competition from California weedy rice (Oryza sativa f. spontanea) biotypes on a cultivated rice variety. Weed Technology doi: 10.1017/wet.2020.35.
- Karn, E.; De Leon, T. (2020). Phenotypic diversity of weedy rice (Oryza sativa f. spontanea) biotypes found in California and implications for management. Weed Science. 68:5, 485-495.
- De Leon, T.; Karn, E. (2019). "Genetic variation and possible origins of weedy rice found in California." Ecology and Evolution 2019: 1-14.
- Espe, M.; Hill, J. (2018). Rice yield improvements through plant breeding are offset by inherent yield declines over time. Field Crops Research. 222, 59-65.
- Espe, M. B.; Hill, J. (2017). "Point stressess during reproductive stage rathern than warming seasonal temperature determines yield in temperate ricd." Global Change Biology 23(10): 4386-4395.
- Aghaee, M.; Espino, L. (2016). "Effects of seeding rates and rice water weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) density on damage in two medium grain varieties of rice." J. Econ. Entomol 109(2): 667-675.
- Godfrey, L.; Espino, L. (2015). UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Rice. Invertebrates. UC ANR Publication 3465.
- Linquist, B. A.; Snyder, R. (2015). "Water balances and evapotranspiration in water- and dry-seeded rice systems." Irrigation Science 33(5): 375-385.
- Lu, F.; Kang, X. (2014). "Culture-independent analysis of bacterial communities in the gut of rice water weevil (Coleoptera: Curculionidae)." Annals of the Entomological Society of America 107: 592-600.
- Pittelkow, B.; Assa, Y. (2014). "Nitrogen management and methane emissions in direct-seeded rice systems." Agronomy Journal 106: 968-980.
- Espino, L.; Greer, C. A. (2014). "Survey of rice storage facilities identifies research and education needs." California Agriculture 68: 38-46.
- Flint, M. L. (2013). Coordinator/Primary Author. Espino, L., A. Fischer, L. Godfrey, C. Greer, J. Hill, R. Marsh, and R. Mutters, Technical Editors. 2013. Integrated Pest Management for Rice. University of California Statewide Integrated Pest Management Program, University of California Agricultural and Natural Resources Publication 3280.
- Pearson, R. A.; Way, M. O. (2013). "Tropisternus lateralis (Say) (Coleoptera: Hydrophilidae) as potential stand reducer in water-seeded rice under a continuous flood." Crop Protection 52: 110-115.
- Espino, L. (2012). "Occurrence and abundance of Lissorhoptrus oryzophilus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) relative to field borders in California rice." Florida Entomologist 95: 445-453.
- Redman, R.; Kim, Y. O. (2011). "Increased fitness of rice plants to abiotic stress via habitat adapted symbiosis: a strategy for mitigating impacts of climate change." PLoS ONE 6: e14823.
- Espino, L.; Way, M. O. (2009). "Effect of planting date on Lissorhoptrus oryzophilus (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) density-yield relationship on rice in southeastern Texas." J. Econ. Entomol 102(4): 1536-1545.
- Godfrey, L.; Espino, L. (2009). UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Rice. Invertebrates. UC ANR Publication 3465.
- Espino, L.; Way, M. O. (2008). "Attractiveness of stages of rice panicle development to Oebalus pugnax (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae)." J. Econ. Entomol 101: 1233-1237.
- Espino, L.; Way, M. O. (2008). "Determination of Oebalus pugnax (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae) spatial pattern in rice and development of visual sampling methods and population sampling plans." J. Econ. Entomol 101: 216-225.
- Espino, L.; Way, M. O. (2008). "Sequential sampling plans for sweep net and visual sampling of Oebalus pugnax in rice." Southwest. Entomol 33: 53-64.
- Espino, L. A.; Way, M. O. (2007). "Most susceptible stage of rice panicle development to Oebalus pugnax (Hemiptera: Pentatomidae)." J. Econ. Entomol 100(4): 1282-1290.
- Espino, L.; Way, M. O. (2007). "Relative susceptibility of stages of rice panicle development to male and female Oebalus pugnax." Southwest. Entomol 32: 203-211.