Nutrition, weight and health
- Frequently asked questions about sports drinks
- Perceived high cost deters farmworkers from eating produce, according to UC study
- "Prevention" and "acceptance" key words for dealing with obesity
- UC scientists confirm healthier food costs more
- Toll-free number gives the public easy access to sound nutrition information
- UC experts say a perspective change is needed in obesity prevention
- News tips about UC activities to improve child and adult nutrition and physical activity and to prevent obesity in various California locations
- Healthful eating would bring big economic boost to California farmers
- How can Californians be overweight and hungry? (pdf from California Agriculture magazine, Volume 58, Number 1)
- University of California sources of information on healthful eating
UC nutrition, family and consumer sciences advisors and specialists are charged with bringing the latest research-based information on nutrition to the public. They conduct education programs, working especially with California's low-income population, a group prone to overweight and obesity. These experts are also open to working with the news media.
- AsisTel - UC Cooperative Extension by telephone - now includes twenty recorded messages with specific advice for families who wish to develop healthful eating and exercise habits. Call toll-free (800) 514-4494. PDF brochure that lists topics and corresponding numbers.
- UC ANR nutrition, weight and health educational curricula flyer "Let's Get Moving" (pdf)
UC Web sites on nutrition, weight and health
- Center for Weight and Health - Provides leadership of interdisciplinary, science-based solutions to body weight, health and hunger-related problems.
- EatFit - Recipes, links, games and information for teens.
- Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program - Improves lives of limited-resource youth and families with young children through practical lessons on basic nutrition and healthy lifestyles, resource management, and food safety.
- Lunch Box Handouts - La lonchera (San Luis Obispo County) - Assists preschool parents in packing healthy brown bag lunches for their preschool children
- Chronic Diseases Links (Contra Costa Country)
- UC ANR web site - Portal Web site for UC Agriculture and Natural Resources
- ANR Communication Services - ANR online catalog which contains UC-produced educational materials
- Department of Nutrition, UC Davis - Seminars, nutrition information, news, courses
- UCLA Center for Health Policy Research - Source of health policy information in California