Healthy soil is the single most important building block in gardening. First, make sure you know what kind of soil you have. Then, consider techniques to build healthy soil that will grow a bountiful garden.
- Composting is Good for Your Garden and the Environment
- How to Use Compost in Your Home Garden
- Build or Buy a Compost Bin or Worm Bin
- If You Have a Lawn, Consider Grasscycling
- The San Mateo County Office of Sustainability is an excellent local resource for home gardeners.
- Benefit the Garden and Reduce Waste: composting basics
Fertilizers and Amendments
The most important building block of beautiful landscapes and gardens is healthy soil. It’s important to understand how to nurture and feed soil (covered above in Soil, Compost, Mulch). Nutrition for plants can be added with fertilizers and amendments, and this section addresses what they are and how to use them.