Area Subtropical Horticulture AdvisorCooperative Extension Riverside County
2980 Washington Street
Riverside, CA 92504
951-683-6491 ext. 224
San Diego County
M.S Plant Science, emphasis in weed science, California State University, Fresno. 2014
B.S Plant Science, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona. 2012
- Early Career Achievement Award
Presented by National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2021
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Subtropical Fruits - General
- Citrus - General
- Plant Management Systems
- Plant Protection
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Pest Management/Diseases
- Montazar, A. (2020). Determination of Actual Evapotranspiration and Crop Coefficients of California Date Palms Using the Residual of Energy Balance Approach. Water. 12:8, 2253.
- EE, Grafton-Cardwell; Baldwin RA, Becker J.O., et al. (2020). UC IPM Pest Management Guidelines: Citrus. UC ANR Publication 3441. 2020.
- Rios, S. I.; Wright, S. D., et al. (2016). Tolerance of Amaranthus palmeri populations from California to postemergence herbicides at various growth stages. Crop Protection. 87, 6-12. 2016.
- S., Wright; Hutmacher, R., et al. (2015). Impact of Early Defoliation on California Boll Opening, Pima Lint Yield and Quality. Journal of Improvement. Journal of Improvement. 2015.
- Wright, S.D.; Hutmacher, R. B., et al. (2014). Impact of Pima Defoliation Timing on Lint Yield and Quality. Cotton Journal of Cotton Science. 18, 48-58. 2014.
- Wright, S.D "; ", " A. Shrestha, et al. (2013). ". Effect of early termination on Pima Defoliation Yield and Quality." Cotton Journal
- Wright, S.D.; Hutmacher, R. B., et al. (2013). "Comparing Acala Defoliation timings with Yield and Quality." Crop Management
- Wright, S.D.; Hutmacher, R. B., et al. (2013). "Glufosinate in Widestrike Acala Cotton." Weed Technology
- Rios, S.; Eskalen, S. A., et al. (2021). Avocado Invasive pests. Progressive Crop Consultant. 6:3, 26-31. 2021.
- Daugovish, O.; Faber, B., et al. (2021). Weed control and safety of herbicides in bearing avocado orchard. California Pest Control Advisor Magazine. XXIV:6, 60-64. 2021.
- Rios, S. (2021). Weed Management in Avocado. California Fresh Fruit Magazine. 38:5, 3-9. 2021.
- Rios, S. & M. Rethwisch (2019). Current pest challenges in California date production. California Fresh Fruit. 14-16.
- Rios, S.; Bender, G. (2019). Fire Season is Here: A Review. University of California Cooperative Extension Subtropical Horticulture News. 1:1, 7-9. 9/30/19.
- Rios, S.; Baldwin, R. (2019). Rattlesnakes in California Orchards. California Pest Control Advisor Magazine. XXII:6, 58-62. https://capca.com/publication/capca-adviser-magazine-december-2019/
- Rios, S. (2019). Researchers from Florida Visit California to Update Avocado Growers on Laurel Wilt Disease. University of California Cooperative Extension Subtropical Horticulture News. 1:1, 4-6. 9/30/2019.
- Lara, Jesus; Pickett, Charles, et al. (2019). Update: What has Become of the Polyphagous Shot Hole Borer in California? California Pest Control Advisor Magazinenia. October 2019:5, 46-52.
- Rios, S.; Pedraza, J., et al. (2018). After the Fire and Before the Rain, What to Do. Topics in Subtropics. 16, 6-8. http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Topics_in_Subtropics73711.pdf
- Douhan, G.; Faber, B., et al. (2018). An Update on Huanglongbing Disease of Citrus in California. Topics in Subtropics. 17, 7-11. http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Topics_in_Subtropics75039.pdf
- Takele, E.; Rios, S. (2018). Evaluating Cost Effectiveness of High Density Planting of Avocados: Experiment on Water and Pruning. Topics in Subtropics. 17, 8-10. http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Topics_in_Subtropics76791.pdf
- Rios, S.; Hoddle, M. (2018). South American Palm Weevil is a Threat to Coachella Valley Date and Ornamental Palm Growers. Topics in Subtropics. 16, 1-2. http://ceventura.ucanr.edu/newsletters/Topics_in_Subtropics73711.pdf
- Rios, S. (2018). Weed Management in Dates - Tools and Considerations. California Fruit Grower. 35:5, 16-18.
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Desert - Member
- Floriculture and Nursery - Member
- Native American Community Partnerships - Member
- Small Farm - Member
- Sub Tropical Crops - Member
- Wildlife - Member