Russell D. Hill
2145 Wardrobe Ave
Merced, CA 95341-6445
A fourth generation Californian, Central Valley to be specific, Russell is the Associate 4-H Youth Development Advisor for Merced, Madera, and Mariposa Counties. He received his B.A. in anthropology from CSU Fresno in 1998 and his Masters in Public Administration from CSU Stanislaus in 2003. Before accepting his current position of 4-H Youth Development Advisor, Hill served as the state 4-H Military Partnership Programs director from 2010-2012. Hill had also been the 4-H Youth Development Program Representative in Merced County from 2005-2010.
Russell is a trained Qualified Administrator in the Intercultural Developmental Inventory, Inc; a co-chair to the University of California’s 4-H Diversity Workgroup; a member of several research projects including the multi-state Youth Retention Study. His passion is working with volunteers and organizations to make positive changes that affect the lives of the communities that they serve and delivering strong 4-H STEM programming in many different settings.
- Distinguished Service Award: Outstanding Research
Presented by UC ANR, https://ucanr.edu/blogs/ANRReport/index.cfm?tagname=Distinguished%20Service%20Awards, 2018
- Distinguished Service Award
Presented by National Association of Extension 4-H Agents, https://ucanr.edu/blogs/ANRReport/index.cfm?tagname=Russ%20Hill, 2016
- National Extenison Diversity Award
Presented by American Association for Public and Land-Grant Universities, https://www.nifa.usda.gov/announcement/extension-educators-receive-national-honors-excellence-and-diversity, 2016
SpecialtyScience Literacy, after-school programming, outdoor/environmental education, program development, and organizational change.
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Families, Youth, and Communities
- Sociological and Technological Change Affecting Individuals, Families, and Communities
- Community Insitutions, Health, and Social Services
- Youth Development
- Community Development
- Youth Development
- 4-H Program
- Healthy Families and Communities
- Lewis, Kendra; Borba, John; Hill, Russell; Miller, Jolynn (2019). Effective Communication of 4-H Program Essentials to 4-H Families. Journal of Extension. Extension Journal, Inc. 57:3. June 2019. https://joe.org/joe/2019june/tt5.php
- Moncloa, Fe; Diaz Carrasco, Claudia P; Hill, Russell; Erbstein, Nancy (2019). Effective Engagement with Latino Youths and Communities. Journal of Extension. Extension Journal, Inc. 57:2, 2IAW2. April 2019. https://joe.org/joe/2019april/pdf/JOE_v57_2iw2.pdf
- Lewis, Kendra M; Ewers, Timothy; Miller, JoLynn C; Brid, Marianne; Borba, John; Hill, Russell D; Rea-Keywood, Jeannette; Shelstad, Nancy; Trzesniewski, Kali (2018). Addressing Retention in Youth Programs: A Survey for Understanding Families' Experiences. Journal of Extension. Journal of Extenison. 56:3. June 2018. https://www.joe.org/joe/2018june/pdf/JOE_v56_3tt3.pdf
- Moncloa, Fe; Diaz Carrasco, Claudia P; Espinosa, Dorina; Hill, Russell; Horrillo, Shannon (2018). Using a Translational Process to Apply Latino Youth Development Research Findings in Practice. Journal of Extenison. 56:6. October 2018. https://joe.org/joe/2018october/iw3.php
- Hill, Russell (2017). ¡Descubre Outside, Discover Afuera! Engaging Latino Youth in Environmental Education. UC Delivers.J. Caron-Sale and L. Fabregas. Davis, CA, University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. December 2017. http://ucanr.edu/delivers/?impact=1051&a=0
- Erbstein, Nancy; Moncloa, Fe; Shwartz Olagundoye, Stacy; Diaz-Carrasc, Claudia; Hill, Russell (2017). "Engaging Latino Communities from the Ground Up: Three Tools." Journal of Extension 55(4)
- Horrillo, S. J.; Carrasco, C. Diaz; Hill, R.; Moncloa, F.; Workgroup, Diversity in Youth Development (2017). Promising Practices for Programs Serving Latino Youth: Fact Sheet for 4-H Academics and Staff. University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. 8578, 3. August. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8578.pdf
- Hill, R; Carrasco, C.Diaz; Moncloa, F.; Moncloa, Fe; Villalobos, E.; Workgroup, Diversity in Youth Development (2017). Staffing for Success: Fact Sheet for Human Resources Director and 4-H Leadership Program. University of California Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources. 8579, 3. August. http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8579.pdf
- Hill, Russell; Dias, Cladia; Horrillo, Shannon; Villalobos, Elizabeth; Guild, Jessica; Moncloa, Fe (2016). Core Elements of the 4-H Youth Development Program. UC ANR. 9/16.
- Worker, Steven; Hill, Russell; Miller, Jolynn; Go, Charles; Boyes, Rita (2015). "Exploring the Effectiveness of a Retreat Method for Extension Staff." Journal of Extension 53(6): 1.
- Moncloa, F.; Erbstein, N.; London, J.; Geraghty, E.; Go, C.; Martin, A.; Hill, R.; Spezzano, T. (2013). Putting Youth on the Map. UC Delivers 2013. http://ucanr.edu/delivers/?impact=907&delivers=1
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Diversity in Youth Development - Chair