9240 S. Riverbend Ave.
Parlier, CA 93648
Botany & Plant Sciences
Ph.D., University of California, Davis, 1985
I am interested in the assessment of fruit quality and productivity as influenced by both cultural management and postharvest handling of the product. My research and extension activities reflect this interest in developing an information base on the continuum between the farmer and the consumer.
SpecialtyEvaluation of preharvest and postharvest factor on subtropical crop productivity and fruit quality, including rootstock, cultivar, irrigation, pesticide and nutrition management strategies
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Citrus - General
- Citrus - Other
- Subtropical Fruits - Other
- Plants and Their Systems
- Plant Genome, Genetics, and Genetic Mechanisms
- Plant Genetic Resources
- Plant Biological Efficiency and Abiotic Stresses Affecting Plants
- Plant Product Quality and Utility (Preharvest)
- Plant Management Systems
- Basic Plant Biology
- Food and Non-Food Products: Development, Processing, Quality, and Delivery
- New and Improved Food Products
- Quality Maintenance in Storing and Marketing Food Products
- Takele, E.; Meyer, J.L.; Arpaia, M.L. (1995). "Economic analysis of irrigation and fertilization management of avocados." HortScience 31(1): 156-159.
- Walker, G.P.; Morse, J.G.; Arpaia, M.L. (1995). "Evaluation of a high-pressure washer for postharvest removal of California red scale (Homoptera: Diaspididae) from citrus fruit." J. Econ. Entomol 89(1): 148-155.
- Kahn, T.L.; Adams, C.J.; Arpaia, M.L. (1994). "Paternal and maternal effects on fruit and seed characteristics in cherimoya (Annona cherimola Mill)." Scientia Hort 59: 11-25.
- Arpaia, M.L. (1994). "Preharvest factors influencing postharvest quality of tropical and subtropical fruit." HortScience 29: 982-985.
- Takele, E.; Menge, J.A.; Pehrson Jr., J.E.; Meyer, J.L.; Coggins Jr., C.W.; Arpaia, M.L.; Hare, J.D.; Atkin, D.R.; Adams, C. (1993). "Economic analysis of integrated crop management practices of ‘navel' oranges." J. Amer. Soc. Hort. Sci 118: 910-915.