Hero Image

Camp Fire Resources

Resources for Livestock Operators Impacted by the Camp Fire


Farm Service Agency Livestock Producer Resources - The Butte County Farm Service Agency can assist producers impacted by the Camp Fire with forage loss, infrastructure loss (e.g. fence, barns, water systems), short term emergency loans (e.g. $50,000 in 4 days), cattle death and more. Click here for resource guide to learn more. 

Cattle Loss - If you lost cattle due to the Camp Fire or burn injuries and may seek financial compensation from the Farm Service Agency you MUST have cattle loss verified by a 3rd Party. UC Cooperative Extension is an approved 3rd party and can assist you with this process, please contact Tracy Schohr for assistance at 916-716-2643. Additionally, the Neal Road Landfill is accepting burnt carcasses in December on a special permit from California Department of Food and Agriculture for additional information click here and go to the bottom of the page. 

Livestock Drinking Water Quality - The Camp Fire was unprecedented, burning 20,000 structures and thousands of vehicles. UC Cooperative Extension looked at heavy metals, nitrates, VOC's and bacteria in waterways following the Camp Fire to identify any potential concerns for livestock producers. 

Estimating the Cost of Replacing Forage Losses - Valuable forage was lost in the Camp Fire on an estimated 30,000 acres. UC Cooperative Extension has develop a tool to help you estimate forage losses.