New ANR Employee Guide
New ANR Employee Onboarding Guide
Welcome to UC ANR from Vice President Glenda Humiston. (video)
You are now part of a large UC ANR community which stretches across the state of California. Our unique community of employees, stakeholders, partners, volunteers, community groups and clientele, engage in work that often has national and international implications. As you embark on your new journey working for this great organization, refer to this webpage to learn about topics such as: ANR Accomplishments, the ANR Vision, Personal Responsibility, Principles of Community and Personal development.
Find administrative links below for time reporting, travel policies, benefits, and other important employee resources. You have 31 days from your start date to sign up for benefits. Check scheduling for the New Employee Administrative Orientation (all employees) and the Programmatic Orientation (academic employees) to find out when the next events take place. (If you are a new people manager check out the Onboarding New ANR Employees: Supervisor's Guide.)
Begin exploring your new organization by watching "We are UC ANR" (video).
Table of Contents
Composition of ANR:
Compensation and Benefits (What to do if you’re a new employee)
ANR 2016-2020 Strategic Plan (ANR web page)
We are UC ANR (video)
Share with stakeholders or people in your lives what ANR is all about by referring to ANR Core Messages. (web page).
UC Cooperative Extension: 100 years and Counting Centennial (video)
What does Abraham Lincoln Have to do with your Academic Career? (video)
Brief History of UC Cooperative Extension (web page)
Our Administration (web page)
UC Delivers showcases how ANR is making a difference for Californians (video, web page)
ANR has its own YouTube channel. Check it out! (web page)
ANR News (ANR web page)
California Institute for Water Resources (CIWR)
The California Institute for Water Resources integrates California's research, extension, and education programs to develop research-based solutions to water resource challenges.
California Naturalist (CalNat)
The UC California Naturalist Program introduces Californians to the wonders of our unique ecology and engage the public in study and stewardship of California’s natural communities.
Cooperative Extension for County Offices (CE)
UC Cooperative Extension is a vast network of UC researchers and educators who work together to develop and provide science-based information to solve locally-relevant economic, agricultural, natural resource, youth development and nutrition issues.
4-H Youth Development Program (4-H YDP)
Informatics and GIS Program (IGIS)
Established in 2012, IGIS serves ANR with support for mapping tools, spatial data science, and technologies for data collection and analysis. IGIS also provides training to ANR employees.
Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
IPM helps residents, growers, land managers, community leaders, and other professional pest managers prevent and solve pest problems with the least unintended impacts on people and their surroundings.
Master Gardener/Master Food Preserver (MG/MFP) (web/web, video, flyer)
Extends UC research based information about home horticulture and pest management to the public and is administered locally by participating UC Cooperative Extension county offices.
Nutrition Policy Institute (NPI)
Brings together a wide range of experts who develop and conduct research on nutrition, food insecurity, physical activity, wellness, and the prevention of obesity, diabetes and other related health problems.
Research & Extension Center System (REC)
A strong, vibrant organization of research and education academics supported by extraordinary research management capacity to conduct agriculture, natural resource and human resource programs that enable the delivery of the highest quality science to promote healthy citizens and thriving communities.
Youth, Families, and Communities (NFCS)
Administers youth, nutrition, family, and community programs in California including the 4-H Youth Development Program and Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program.
Administrative Policies & Business Contracts (APBC)
Located in UC ANR’s Controller’s office APBC can help you with a variety of issues related to UC or ANR policy. They have responsibility for administrative policy interpretation and development; memoranda of understandings; support groups and affiliate groups; delegations of authority; business contracts; information practices (records requests/subpoenas); and conflict-of-interest issues.
Business Operations Center (BOC Davis/Kearney)
BOC Davis provides financial services to Statewide Programs, Research & Extension Centers, and ANR service units located in Davis. BOC Kearney provides comprehensive consolidated financial and payroll-related services in support of county Cooperative Extension offices statewide.
Communication Services & Information Technology
ANR’s IT employees provides the technology that supports UC ANR in delivering globally-recognized, innovative programs and extension for California
Publishing and Production
ANR’s Publishing and Production group turn the Division’s research and information into professional communications materials, including peer-reviewed books, online publications, California Agriculture journal and materials promoting ANR’s mission, programs and departments. Overview| Video | Read more (Publishing, California Agriculture)
Strategic Communication’s mission is to promote the great work of UC ANR to Californians and various external audiences. They conduct outreach to news media, pitch stories to influential journalists, develop promotional material, keep active social media platforms, develop web content, and maintain responsibility for the UC ANR Brand and the Government and Community Relations function. Overview | Video | Read more
Contracts & Grants
The Office of Contracts and Grants provides principal investigators assistance with proposal preparation (including funding searches and proposal strategy, planning and development, project management, and partnership-building), and provide resources and expertise so that principal investigators may better understand contract and grant administration and successfully administer sponsored awards. The UC ANR Office of Contracts and Grants (OCG) is the authorized organizational representative for all extramurally sponsored projects at UC Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Works with all UC ANR statewide programs, Cooperative Extension Offices and Research and Extension Centers to raise private donations. Development Services include major gifts, support for local fundraising, annual appeals, stewardship and campaign materials, online giving, donor research, endowments, planned gifts and capital campaigns. We provide assistance with policy issues and work closely with UC Institutional Advancement. We manage the database of record for UC ANR, entering all gifts and storing donation records.
Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S)
In partnership with Safety Coordinators at each Cooperative Extension and Research and Extension Center Location, EH&S strives to ensure all ANR researchers, staff, volunteers, and youth participants can perform their activities in a safe, healthy, and environmentally responsible manner by developing and making available a suite of EH&S planning, procedural, and training resources.
Staff HR provides personnel services to all ANR county-based and other off-site units in the areas of classification, compensation, recruitment, employment, and more.
Academic HR provides leadership, coordination and consulting services in applying academic personnel policies and procedures in recruitment, advancement, compensation and employee relations for academic appointees in the division. Overview | Video | Read more (HR Staff, Academic)
Affirmative Action Office (AAO) is responsible for ensuring that the University complies with federal, state, and local laws pertaining to equal opportunity, affirmative action, nondiscrimination, and harassment. | Read more
Learning & Development offers an array of opportunities for employee learning and professional development. | Read more
Program Planning & Evaluation (PPE)
Coordinates statewide program planning, accountability and reporting on behalf of the Associate Vice President for Agriculture Experiment Station and Cooperative Extension programs.
Program Support Unit (PSU)
Provides programmatic support in key areas to those involved in ANR initiatives, programmatic and advocacy efforts, statewide programs, and leadership groups. Support includes coordinating all aspects of event planning, scheduling the Davis ANR Building Valley Conference Rooms, meeting support, note taking, and much more.
ANR employees have the right to work in an environment that promotes fairness, trust, respect, and physical and emotional safety and security. Each member plays an important role in demonstrating inclusive behavior, cooperation, professionalism, and agree to uphold the ANR Principles of Community.
- ANR Principles of Community (ANR web page)
- Diversity Matters (ANR web page)
- New Employee Safety (ANR web page)
- Ergonomics (ANR web page)
- Ethical standards (ANR web page)
- Whistleblower Hotline (Ethics Point web page)
Complete the following compliance training modules at UC Learning Center (UC Davis)
- University of California Statement of Ethical Values
- Standards of Ethical Conduct
- UC Cyber Security Awareness
- UC Sexual Violence and Sexual Harassment Prevention
- Academic Assembly Council (web page)
- Staff Assembly (web page)
- ANR Report (web page)
- UC ANR Portal login (ANR Portal)
- HR HELP (Staff, Academic)
- IT HELP (ANR Portal)
- Employee directory (web page)
- Branding ANR (web page)
- Business cards (ANR web page)
Working with your supervisor
- Get clear guidelines about your role and responsibilities
- Ask questions about topics not covered during your first meeting
- Request a copy of your location’s onboarding handbook, if one is available
- During the first weeks, share with your supervisor areas in which you need training
- Be open to hear from your supervisor about areas in which you need improvement
Ask your colleagues for information they may have on:
- Public transport commute discounts, parking, carpooling
- Office culture, dress code, local restaurants and cafes
Be proactive for your own professional and personal growth:
- ANR Learning & Development website and resources.
- ANR career planning tools (web page)
- Learn how to develop SMART Goals (web page)
- UC Core Competencies and Academic Competencies (web page)
- Academic Training Information (ANR web page)
- Lynda.com (ANR Portal)
- UC Learning Center (UC Davis web page)
Are you a people manager? Hone your management skills:
- UC People Management Certificate Series (UC Learning Center, UC Davis)
- People Management Learning Resources (web page)
- New Employee Administrative Orientation (all employees) (web page)
- New AcademicANR Orientation Guide (academics) (web page)
- Programmatic Orientation (academics) (web page)
- Safety Orientation (web page)
- UC ANR Policies (web page)
- Collective Bargaining Contracts (web page)
- Travel and Entertainment (web page)
- Acceptable Use Policy for UC supported computers, networks, video, and audio equipment (UC Davis web page)
- Travel card sign-up (UC Davis web page)
- AggieTravel and AggieTravel Training (UC Davis web page)
- AggieBuy (UC Davis web page)
- UC Davis Direct Deposit Service Direct (UC Davis web page)
- Business card ordering information
- Sign up for purchasing card, if applicable
- Learn how to use Outlook Mail on LinkedIn Learning (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for an account)
Software/shared drives set up
- IT HELP (ANR Portal)
Other communication tools
Compensation and Benefits (UCnet web page) (How to create a UC account, complete guide to health benefits, UC retirement decision guide, family member eligibility verification)
Benefits: Retirement and Health Benefits enrollment time sensitive
- Benefits of Belonging (UCnet web page)
- Medical Plan Comparison (The Best Plan for You and Your Family) (UCnet web page)
- Total Compensation Estimator
Overview of the UC System (UCnet webpage)
- Governance of UC (UC Office of the President webpage)
- Working at UC (UCnet webpage)
- Diversity (UCnet webpage)
- UC newsletter (News and Discoveries) (UC Office of the President web page)