IDP Process Activities
The IDP brings the employee and supervisor together in discussion to make joint decisions on the specific skills, objectives, and progress needed to accomplish shared goals of individual career development and organizational enrichment. The supervisor and employee may also collaborate to find training and other experiences needed to realize these goals within a defined time frame.
The process consists of:
- Preplanning: Supervisor and employee prepare separately before meeting
- Meeting: Supervisor and employee meet to discuss employee strengths, skill gaps, goals, interests, and organizational needs
- Composing IDP: Employee drafts a plan for individual development in consultation with the supervisor.
- Implementing plan: Employee engages in training opportunities described in IDP
- Assessing outcomes: Supervisor and employee evaluate the effectiveness of training and development activities