Healthy Living Ambassadors Program
Click the link above to learn about the Healthy Living Ambassadors Program
- Find out more about the Fall Session and the Spring Session
- Learn More about the Application requirements
- HLAs roles and responsibilities
- Find out which Elementary schools near you will host the HLA program
- Check out the HLA schedule of important dates for Fall '19 and Spring '20
The Healthy Living Ambassador Program
A Healthy Living Ambassador...
...is between 12 and 19 years old.
...can volunteer once-a-week, for 2 hours.
...is interested in learning more about Physical Activity, Nutrition, and Gardening.
…will serve as a positive role model for elementary school kids.
...is committed to helping their community.
…brings their experiences, interests, and expertise forward.
…will learn and grow as positive role models for their peers.
...earns up community service hours in a fun and engaging way.
The HLA program is for everyone. We know that some topics might be an introduction for some teens and that is OK. HLA is an opportunity to learn more about the world and an opportunity to teach and help those in the community. We want to help each teen to be their best self.
HLA School Site Map
HLA Program History
We are looking forward to working with San Mateo Teens to teach and learn!
We are so proud of all the HLA Teens that participated in the Spring 2019 Program, we had 31 Teens participate, 13 of which were a part of past programs! We taught 118 3rd graders about Gardening and Nutrition, and played fun Physical Activity games as well! These 1 hour lessons encouraged healthy eating and healthy living. For our hardworking HLA Teens, we hosted an HLA Event halfway through the program, the Midway Meeting, at a Food+ Tech Company called Yummly, and it was a fun success full of food, networking opportunities, cutting edge tech. We received valuable feedback from our HLAs that helped the program improve immediately, and will help our future programs. At the end of the program we celebrated our HLAs with a (healthy) Pizza Party! We are looking forward to working with our HLAs next year!
In Spring 2018, our 5th year of the Healthy Living Ambassador Garden Program, we trained 42 teens to teach at 6 different Elementary School Garden sites, including 2 new sites. It was a great success. Returning HLAs served as strong mentors to new HLAs. They passed on skills and knowledge and had a great time! Everyone brought their own authentic experiences and made strong connections with the 3rd graders! We are very proud of everyone!
In the Spring of 2017, 38 teens taught at 5 different elementary schools and we reached approximately 125 students each week across San Mateo and San Francisco Counties. These students received 2 hours of instruction a week by HLAs.
In the Spring of 2016, 42 teens worked at 6 different elementary school garden sites. 2 hours of Garden and Nutrition reached 165 elementary students each week across San Mateo and San Francisco Counties, delivered by the HLA Teen Teachers.
In the Spring of 2015, 33 teens worked at 5 different elementary school garden sites, and taught 400 students about garden and nutrition in a 1 hour session.
The HLA Program began in San Francisco and San Mateo Counties in 2014.
- Offers youth a safe, healthy, caring, and enriching environment to learn and practice group dynamics within their cohort and with the students.
- Engages youth in long-term, structured learning in partnership with peers and adult professionals.
- Helps young people participate in engaging, exciting programs while developing valuable leadership skills and job skills with lifelong benefits.
- Trains and offers technical assistance to help youth with skill development whether its for college applications or for a resume.
- Offers opportunities to connect with like-minded peers and build new friendships. Encourages a sense of community and resilience.
- HLA and 4H programs offer scholarship opportunities, more info can be found Here and Here
We are always looking for adult volunteers! If you're interested, check out the Adult Volunteer Information page
Want an HLA program at your School or Curious about local 4-H Programs?
If you want to learn more about our program or have questions that are not answered here, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
HLA Program Coordinators
The Healthy Living Ambassadors (HLA) Garden Program is a collaboration of the UC Calfresh Program and the 4-H Youth Development Program.
UC CalFresh HLA Coordinator is Will Easlea. Please feel free to reach out and contact him at email@example.com
4-H HLA Coordinator is Mary Carp. Please feel free to reach out and contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org
4-H and Healthy Living Ambassadors Program are educational programs of UC-Cooperative Extension. If you are interested in learning more, contact email@example.com