DEADLINE EXTENDED to JULY 14, 2023 no later than 5:00 PM (extension due to website accessibility issues)
Scholarships are awarded to 4-H Alumni pursuing higher education by the San Mateo County 4-H Scholarship II Trust. The scholarships are based on achievement (both academic and contributions to the community as demonstrated by the student’s work, 4-H ideals, and goals) and capacity for learning from experience, hard work, and perseverance. Scholarships are not awarded on financial need. First time applicants and re-applicants who have not received a Scholarship II Award previously will be considered first for funding. Then, re-applicants who have previously received a Scholarship II Award will be considered, subject to funds available. Re-applicants must apply in full each year.
Scholarships will be awarded on:
- 30% Essay questions
- 20% Resume
- 20% Letters of Recommendation
- 25% Community Service, Volunteerism and/or Extracurricular Activities over the last 12 months
- 5% Transcripts (High grade point average is not essential)
General Instructions and Information
Download instructions: 2023 Scholarship II Application Instructions
- May not be enrolled as a 4-H youth (this scholarship is for 4-H alumni)
- Must be age 19 or older by 12/31/2022.
- Must be college freshman or above.
- Must be enrolled in at least 6 units.
You need to address all five (5) criteria to be considered for a scholarship. Each applicant must include:
- Complete the online application
- Essay Questions* covering the following topics (max 500 words per question; spelling and grammar will be taken into consideration. Please have your name AND date on the document):
- How did your 4-H experiences influence your career aspirations and desire to pursue higher education?
- Describe in detail the community service, volunteer and/or extra-curricular activities you have performed in the last 12 months, inside and outside of the 4-H Youth Development Program
- What strengths and leadership skills have you gained through the 4-H Youth Development Program?
- Transcript*: most recent transcript (downloaded transcript is acceptable)
- Resume* (4-H or another format) Find the 4-H template here: http://4h.ucanr.edu/Resources/Members/4-H_Resumes/
- At least three Letter(s) of Recommendation
- College related - teacher, professor, counselor, or staff member, someone familiar with the student’s current schooling.
- Community related - 4-H leader, community service advisor, etc.
- A personal reference from a non-related adult.
*You may upload essay questions, transcript and resume via the online application. Acceptable format PDF or WORD DOC ONLY.
Online application: DEADLINE EXTENDED to JULY 14, 2023 no later than 5:00 PM (extension due to website accessibility issues)
- Online Application (you should have all your information ready to upload and complete.)
- Enter applicant's information
- Enter list of community service, volunteer and/or extra-curricular activities (in the last 12 months)
- Upload essay responses*
- Upload transcript*
- Upload resume*
- Online Recommendation - please provide your references that you’ve chosen with this survey link to upload and submit their recommendations*:
*Acceptable format PDF or WORD DOC ONLY
- Scholarship II recipients will be informed in August.
- Visit our Facebook and Instagram (@sanmateosf4h) for our winners in late August.
- We will also announce our winners at the September County Council meeting.
Scholarship money will be distributed to recipients upon proof of enrollment in at least 6 units.