General Instructions and Information
- Must be college freshman or above
- Must be enrolled in at least 6 units
You need to address all five (5) criteria to be considered for a scholarship. Each applicant must include:
- Essay* covering the following topics (max 500 words; spelling and grammar will be taken into consideration):
- How did your 4-H experiences influence your career aspirations and desire to pursue higher education?
- Describe in detail the community service you have performed in the last 12 months, inside and outside of the 4-H Youth Development Program.
- What strengths and leadership skills have you gained through the 4-H Youth Development Program?
- Transcript*: most recent transcript (downloaded transcripts is acceptable)
- Resume* (4-H or another format) Find the 4-H template here: http://4h.ucanr.edu/Resources/Members/4-H_Resumes/
- At least three Letter(s) of Recommendation,
- College related - teacher, professor, counselor, or staff member, someone familiar with the student’s current schooling.
- Community related - 4-H leader, community service advisor, etc.
- A personal reference from a non-related adult.
- Community service, volunteer and/or extra-curricular activities (within the last 12 months; describe in detail what you have done in the application and in the essay)
*You may upload essay, transcript and resume if you choose to submit via online application or mail it to the County 4-H Office.
In general, scholarships are awarded based on achievement (both academic and contributions to the community as demonstrated by the student’s work, 4-H ideals, and goals) and capacity for learning from experience, hard work, and perseverance. Scholarships are not awarded on financial need. First time applicants and re-applicants who have not received a Scholarship II Award previously will be considered first for funding. Then, re-applicants who have previously received a Scholarship II Award will be considered, subject to funds available. Re-applicants must apply in full each year.
Scholarships will be awarded on:
- 30% Essay
- 20% Resume
- 20% Letters of Recommendation
- 25% Community Service and Volunteerism over the last 12 months
- 5% Transcripts (High grade point average is not essential)
Paper application: DEADLINE, POSTMARK BY FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 2018
San Mateo County 4-H Office
1500 Purisima Creek Road
Half Moon Bay, CA 94019
Online application: DEADLINE, no later than 11:59 pm on FRIDAY, JUNE 29, 2018
- Online Application
- Enter applicant's information
- Enter list of community service, volunteer and/or extra-curricular activities (within the last 12 months)
- Upload essay
- Upload transcript
- Upload resume
- Online Recommendation - please provide your references that you’ve chosen with this survey link to upload and submit their recommendations